SGP auto focus temperature compensation stopped working

Hi guys,

I can’t seem to get a response anymore from temperature compensation, using a Feather Touch/Micro Touch on my Edge 9.25. It has been working very well for me for at least a year, but just doesn’t move the focuser anymore, and the focuser numbers stay the same. I have double checked that I have the box checked to use temp comp in both control panel and equipment profile manager, and that a value of -4 steps per degree C is set.

I’m using Win 10, SGP ver 2.15.1.17. Here are some of my latest logs. Any help much appreciated.

Dean

Temp comp is working just fine. You have just run into an idiosyncrasy of the temp comp system that resulted in no movement because it has only ever considered temperature change between the last 2 frames. You never had a delta that called for any significant movement (mostly 0.2 steps). You must at least register a need to change the focuser’s position by 0.5 steps. Smaller values are ignored. It is unfortunate and could probably be done better to consider the temperature drop over the whole sequence, but this is not a very popular feature and hasn’t made the hit list.

Hi Ken,
I don’t think it’s that. I had nights in the last few weeks where the temp dropped several degrees C and the focuser never moved. I will send better logs ASAP. I assumed the temps in those logs had dropped enough to make it move, but I didn’t check them before sending.

Dean

I’d be pretty surprised (I have been before though) if it was something else. The logs indicate everything is functioning as intended (even though the temperature deltas are very small):

[8/19/2016 2:13:48 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Temp Compensation: Using focuser temp…
[8/19/2016 2:13:48 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Temperature compensation: Adjusting for 0.0 degrees (end: 18.0; start: 18.1; coefficient: -4) for -0.1 steps…
[8/19/2016 2:13:48 AM] [DEBUG] [Focuser Thread] SGM_FOCUSER_MOVE_ABS message received…
[8/19/2016 2:13:48 AM] [DEBUG] [Focuser Thread] Focuser moving to 32350
[8/19/2016 2:13:48 AM] [DEBUG] [Focuser Thread] Focuser move call complete

Hi Ken,

Here are some logs from tonight. I let the temp drop about .75 C, and still no movement from the focuser. I have it set to -4 steps per degrees C, so it should have moved it at least two or three steps by then. At that point I started to move it manually, since I was actually imaging and didn’t want to let the focus drift too far.

Hi Ken,

Well I don’t know what happened, but temperature compensation is working perfectly again tonight. No idea what happened, as I made no changes. Sorry for wasting your time.

Dean