Sgp keeps crashing

@Ken, when I am taking flats, usually within the first few images initially. then after several short runs where it would add a few more, it would get into a mode where it would finish all of them. Taking darks of 2 to 4 minutes, about the same. Do you have one of my sgf files for the 6D?

I just grabbed it. I was about 80 frames in from my sequence. Hopefully yours will trigger it.

Thanks,
Jared

@Jared, which version of SGP are you testing this with, and what OS are you running? It is very hard for me to get this error with ver 14, easier with ver 15, but VERY unavoidable with ver 12. I suggest you try ver 12 just to see if you can trigger it. If you can’t get 12 to fail, then we may be looking at an OS difference or 3rd party software interaction, such as anti-virus software.

@jmacon, currently running it with 2.5.0.15 on Windows 10. I don’t think I have any 8.1 machines any more. My obs laptop is still Window 7. I ran it through the debugger first to see if that would trigger it…no luck. Currently I’m 40 frames into your 80 frame sequence and it’s still going strong.

If this works I’ll go back to 12 and see if I can trigger it there. I’ve been keeping an eye on memory usage as well. SGP gets around 350megs when downloading the image but always drops back down.

Thanks,
Jared

Just wanted to commend the SGP team working hard at debugging their software. I am software developer myself and it’s refreshing to see this sort of commitment and quick feedback.

Just an update here: I have run version 16 for the past two nights, using both the SBIG-8300m and a Canon 6D. None of these issues have shown up. Additional extensive testing with lights and darks produced no failures with the 6D and only 1 with the SBIG. As far as I am concerned, 2.5.0.16 is quite stable. Moving on to other things.

@jmacon Thanks for the report. 2.5.0.16 is actually slightly different than 2.5.014 (in terms of code to prevent this crashing behavior) so it looks like it is possible that this small change in 2.5.0.16 made a difference in overall stability. This bug has been very difficult to track down (I still don’t have a full understanding of it) and I thank you for helping us out with prompt reports, logs and a lot of patience.

Hi

Been testing the latest version ( ver 17 ) and so far no crashes :smile:

I will keep my fingers crossed :heart_eyes:

Harry

Hi all,
I’m posting on this thread as opposed to starting another as it’s related.

I am using 2.5.0.23. Last night I did a 4 hour imaging run no problem. Tonight I’m taking my flats, and I’ve had multiple crashes. Last week I took over 200 bias frames and started a new dark library, also without issue. It’s just tonight the behavior started.

Here is a link to tonight’s log files. After multiple fits and starts I managed to get my flats (they’re running now), but since it seems to be an active issue, I thought I’d post.

Tonight I’m going to try to get more darks–set it and go to bed. I hope it doesn’t crash then!
Anyway, here is a link to the logs. --Stuart

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6nhQcbEB-XUNUQ5cFd0Mm9QcG8&usp=sharing

One more crash log tonight before I gave up. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6nhQcbEB-XUMkNFdURwNXM5RXM/view?usp=sharing

Last update on this. I uninstalled SGP and installed the latest beta. My hard drive is a 250 gb SSD and was about 2/3 full. I data dumped some of the data on it to an external hard drive to clear a little space (about 10 gb). I reset my darks and ran it all night. This time it was stable and didn’t crash.
Stuart

That is very odd… maybe coincidental? I can’t think of anything SGPro would do that would require that much disk space? Your message indicated you had about 80GB of space left which seems like plenty for just about anything…

Thanks Ken,
Any clue from the logs what may have caused the multiple crashes?

In terms of the hard disk space I did the uninstall and reinstall the same time I moved the files to the external drive. To be really scientific I should have done one or the other, but It was 3 in the morning and I wanted to get back to bed, so I did it all at once hoping that when I got up in a few hours my darks would be done. They were.

(BTW, and entirely unrelated, I did an SGP demo to an astronomy club in San Diego and made a few converts)
Stuart

It looks like your module layout file might be / have been corrupt. The last thing the SGPro logs reported was that the layout file was found and then nothing after that… There should be handling around that, but maybe there is an error path we have not found.

Great, Thx!

Thanks. Not sure what a module layout file is, but it seemed to start working after an uninstall and reinstall. Would that fix it?

Stu

It is the file that saves the position and order of the docking modules.
It might have fixed it… never personally tested that.

While I am hesitant to bring this thread back from the dead…I recently found a couple of areas that could be very problematic and cause hanging across multiple cameras. These have been dealt with in the 2.5.1.16 release.

If you call could attempt that version and let me know how things go I would appreciate it.

If you experience hanging I need the following to help get this shorted out more quickly:

- Camera type (ASCOM, SBIG, Canon, Nikon…etc)
- SGP Log (naturally :slight_smile:)
- Frame Type
- Frame Length

Thanks,
Jared

Sure looks good to me.
SBIG 8300M
I just installed ver 16 and ran 80 lights with L, then 80 lights with R, then 120 bias frames. All with 0 delay between frames. Not a single failure. Prior versions would always have many failures with 0 or small delay values.

Well done Jared. Looks like you nailed it.

Great Job can’t wait to test this!!

Jerry,
I’d also be interested how you fare with the 6D as well. I was never able to trigger the failure with the 6D prior to this but you seemed to have pretty good success :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Jared