SGP keeps on crashing or unresponsive after PlateSolve

I have encountered this many many many times after platesolve that the application is unresponsive. I have checked the option to continue the sequence but it just don’t do anything at all. Captured with a video and logs here Sequence Generator Pro PlateSolve Problem | Just Another Backyard Astronomer

Hi

I have watched your video and would make the following suggestions to help you:

1. Focusing using S2 with an exposure of only a few seconds will not give you good results. If you really want to use a NB filter you will find more stable results with an exposure of 40+ seconds.
  2. I’d recommend that you use Lum filter instead and set up filter offsets.
  3. Not sure if you were focusing using bin1? If so, It is far more effective to use bin2.
  4. Your step size is only 10 steps and your AF had to repeatedly adjust itself and start again. I would experiment with larger step sizes as I think this will help.
  5. If you are trying to accomplish a meridian flip using a NB filter for the plate solving with such a short duration for exposure - this in itself will be a reason for failure. You can specifiy which filter to use for Plate solving - use Lum or perhaps Red, take a bin 2 exposure of say 10 seconds to ensure you have enough stars to solve. You can always reduce exposure time after you have had a success.
  6. The log you post states that your image scale in your equipment profile (or control panel settings if you haven’t created an equipment profile) is not accurate enough “not within 25% of scale hint”. Check that you have your scale set correctly.
  7. There are specific settings that you need to accomplish a meridian flip depending on your mount. Are these correct?

I hope you don’t mind the pointers - good luck!

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the pointers. As you have suggested, I have done a lot of combinations before like using Lum for PlateSolving and increasing the exposure time. That’s all good for me. What I don’t understand is then when I got the MessageBox saying “Solve might be bad, blah blah blah”, I clicked on the CheckBox to “Continue the Sequence” and hit “Dismiss”, that should allow me to continue but that puts the application in an “Unstable State”. The logs says “Aborted”… and what? I did not abort, I checked the “Continue the Sequence”.

[10/27/17 22:05:26.157][DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Sequence aborted due to possible bad solve…
[10/27/17 22:05:26.157][DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Adding sequence level notification: A Plate solve during auto center might be bad! Sequence aborted (or entered recovery mode)!

Also why it was in a recovery mode that I have to “End Task” (or kill from *nix based OS) from the Task Manager. That’s not recovery, that’s restarting :slight_smile:

Anyway thanks for your suggestion but the issue that I’m pointing out here is the part where SGP crashes when it cannot do PlateSolve.