SGP on Mac OS

Hello,
I’m new to SGP (still have to download the trial software), but have read wonders about it and would like to start using it.
Problem: I have no inclination whatsoever to use Windows on my Mac (it would be like putting a necktie on a pig), therefore would like to ask when (there should be no question of IF, given the huge number of Mac laptops sold, compared to Windows) the developers intend to finally make a version on SGP that works natively (no Winery or Parallels) on the Mac.
I understand your difficulties with device drivers, but to solve those there are INDI and INDIGO (although I don’t seem to be able to make them work, but at least I’m not using Windows).
Otherwise, I’ll have to not purchase SGP and resort to some other software contraption.
And many others like me will be lost customers…
Thank you
Antonio

Would be great yes, but you have to understand that the developers already have a huge amount of work just maintaining the Windows version. I’m happy to use it with Parallels, Macs are plenty fast (I even use a 2012 Mac mini) to run Windows and SGP on it. I just use both systems side-by-side and don’t care about it really, I use whatever suits my needs.

Hello Vincent,
thank you for your prompt reply.
I also have Parallels and Windows XP on my Mac, but using Windows is a drain on the battery (no AC outlets where I use my telescopes…).
Everything else astronomical I use is Mac native (TheSky X Pro, Nebulosity, PHD2, Pixinisght, etc).
At the moment I’m using Nebulosity, but the scripting features are clumsy at best, if and when they work at all…
Something like SGP working natively on the Mac would be much, much better.
You will surely have done your market research, but I’m quite sure at present day your potential customer base for a Mac version would more than pay for some extra work.
And a Mac version doesn’t have to deal with the virus-like behaviour of Windows, so it would most probably require much less maintenance than your current Windows version.
But I’m no software developer, just a user…
Please, consider a Mac version

Cheers

Antonio

Well I wish I was one of the developers, but I’m just a user as well unfortunately. :wink:

The short answer is that Vincent’s reply is pretty accurate. It would take a fair amount of dedicated effort to move SGP to another platform besides Windows (probably at least a year of dedicated effort). With some recent changes in the .NET framework this might be easier but probably not for a little while as those things need to mature. Currently we’d have to rewrite SGP almost in it’s entirety.

Right now we don’t have the bandwidth to take on that amount of work and push off other features. Most folks that want to use SGP on a Mac just run Parallels, a VM, or dual boot. Sure this isn’t ideal, but those are the current option for SGP, other than choosing something else.

Thanks,
Jared

I use a macbook pro - but I don’t want that out where it can be damaged or get rained on etc. Why not load up Win10 on a stick computer and control it remotely from the Mac using remote desktop. It works a treat and allows one to flip between doing mac stuff and see how the imaging is getting on.
I’m tired of Parallels - after buying about 5 versions of it, I realized I was simply better off affording a cheap PC instead. I also think it messed up a mac security update (according to others on an apple forum) causing all my applications to disappear and I had to reach for the time machine. With remote desktop, I can additionally use my iPad or iMac too, wherever it is most convenient.

1 Like

Hi Antonio,
This may help your issue. I use a compustick($150).
I run all my image capture software(SGP runs great) on it and it comes with Win 10, 2 USB ports( 1-2.0, 1-3.0), 4GB Ram, 32GB SSD, with an SSD slot that I have 128GB added on. It looks like a giant USB drive. I keep it outside with the scope and usually just cover it with my scope cover while I’m imaging. I use teamviewer to remotely connect to it using my MAC. I also use my ipad when I’m at the scope doing setup and adjustments. It works great and I don’t have to worry about my MacBook getting rained on.
Good Luck,
Marc

Azulle A-1063-AAP-1 Access Plus, Fan less Mini PC Stick, Cherry Trail T3 Z8300, 4GB RAM+32GB storage, Black Amazon.com

Closing this down and deleting some replies. I’ll just say the following on the matter.

1. The cost to make SGP support multiple OSes is greater than it’s benefit. We would lose the investment in doing this and the time spent could be used for more features.
  2. If we could go back in time and build this in we’d almost certainly do it…but what’s done is done.
  3. We’re not saying that we’ll “never” move to a solution that works across multiple OSes but at this point it’s probably pretty unlikely unless .NET Core starts to include more things that we need.

Thanks,
Jared