SGP on small computer riding on telescope

I have an ASIAir Pro and know that I can’t run SGP on it, or for that matter, any other Raspberry Pi computer. I know there are some pretty small NUC computers along with the more proprietary and expensive Eagle computers. Curious if there’s anything else out there that is smaller that can easily ride on top of an FSQ 106. Many thanks.

I use a nuc mounted to the side of my pier. I’ve also played around with some of the Intel Sticks which will run SGP as well but they’re pretty anemic…although they do work. Last I played with the Intel Compute Stick was a couple of years ago. They may have something better now.

Jared

Hi Jared, I found this.

and there is a m5 version too with no operating system.

I assume that you can upgrade or install Windows PRO on these, but am not sure.

Yes, you can boot them off of a USB stick with windows on it and install from there. Keep in mind the actual “hard drive” space on those is pretty limited so you’ll likely need an external USB drive to store image data on. Some also have MicroSD card slots.

Jared

this is what i have been successfully using for years. i actually started with the atom version and eventually upgraded to the m3 version. this machine has a microsd slot which is where sgp writes the images. it rides on top of the ota with a hub, focuser controller and power distribution.

having said that, dang these things are really expensive now! check this price history:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01AZC4IKK?context=search

For the price of that compute stick or maybe slightly more you can get a NUC with much better specs. There are even NUCs with a thinner height form factor, which is what I have. Like Jared I have the NUC mounted on my pier/tripod and have two USB3 cables running from there up to the mount. One USB cable goes directly to a camera, and the other goes to a USB hub.

I also use a Nuc attached to my pier. My favorite addition to this is my HooToo router. I place it on my porch and have a dedicated wifi network between my Nuc and MacBook Pro. I use Teamviewer to connect the two computers. When I go out to remote sites I use the identical setup.

The smallest low consumption still reasonable “powerfull” mini pc I found is the ZBOX PI335. It is smaller than a NUC and it even runs from a standard 5V 2.4A USB port. I am mobile and my battery almost doesn´t notice it.

1 Like

I use these mini PCs on my telescope rig. Mounted at the telescope.

Check out my youtube channel for how I used it. I’m a long time SGP user with them. No issues.
Amy Astro

3 Likes

I also use mini PCs with my current NUC attached to the OTA. Using short cables connected directly from individual connectors on the NUC: USB-C to the image camera, USB to the guide camera, USB to the autofocuser. No hub is necessary and two USB connections are still available as spares. Easily running SGP and any other software needed.

The NUC i5 severed me flawlessly for a few years and I just upgraded to an NUC i7 10th gen with WiFi-6. Now transferring the files the night before is much quicker.

I also use the Minix J50… mounted on a dovetail bar on the top of my Scope. I’ve been using it for close to a year without a problem. I use Teamviewer into my iMac.

I purchased one of these based upon your recommendation. After I ran windows update, windows defender found a nasty virus. Sality virus. This is a particularly bad virus that is very difficult to remove. I noticed on Amazon that several other people had found the same virus on their computer as well. One person even found another virus. Rootkit? I cannot recommend this PC after my experience. I wish it were virus free, I would keep it.

That is horrible! I am so sorry. I will have to double check mine now. I have two. Most recent one was purchased in November.

Thank you for letting me know.

Kind Regards
Amy Little

You should check all of your computers. If you put a tf drive or usb drive from your NEO into your home pc, the virus migrated to it. It is a very difficult virus to remove. just to be on the safe side, I would change your passwords but only after you have run full scans and removed all traces of the virus first!

I read that Kaspersky has a free Sality virus remover program, but I have not been able to find it.

I still like the idea you had of using a small 12 volt windows 10 desktop pc to run your astronomy equipment and software. It seems like a way better idea than trying to get a raspberry pi or similar tiny pc to run sophisticated astronomy equipment and also operate your photography software. I am not going to give up.

Thank you for the great idea!

Jeff Weiss

What is your youtube channel?

Amy Astro

Kind Regards
Amy Little

I really appreciate you letting me know about the virus. This will be todays chore after I spend time with my father. I will keep you posted on results. I looked back at my amazon order and I’ve had it since August 2019.

Kind Regards
Amy Little

You are welcome! I went ahead and purchased their upgraded version, I get it today. My fingers are crossed.

I have been watching your videos this week and I just wanted to thank you for doing such a good job of presenting information in an organized way. I am learning so much from them. I decided to go ahead and get pixinsight. I am starting from your first video and learning tons.

Thanks again for doing such excellent work!

Jeff Weiss

I run an Intel NUC, with W10 pro, MSFT remote desktop, 8 GB RAM, 250 GO SSD, 4 USB 3 ports.
All astro software, drivers, etc. work perfectly there.
Also tested during winter, at below freeze temperatures (-9° C).
It also likes 12v DC power and consumes barely 1A.
A velcro attaches it to a piggyback mounting plate, just sitting above a PegasusAtro Powerbox USB hub.

Just my 2 cents…

3 Likes