SGP Software with Shoestring FCUSB & JMI Focuser

Hi guys,

I am trying to use Sequence Pro Generator with a Shoestring FCUSB adaptor and JMI motorised focuser.

The primary issue was that SGP would only work with absolute focusers. Now that I have ticked Absolute Focuser in the driver I have downloaded from Shoestring, I am struggling to get the focuser to work.

I am only able to get the focuser to move in one direction, unless I get it to go to a certain position by setting the absolute go to value. The default value that comes up is 50003

With absolute focusers, can someone advise me as to how I set the focus point or how I can zero the focuser as such? SGP does have a zero focuser set position, but essentially the software seem to simply extend the focuser out and then keeps going unless I get it to stop rather than recognise that it has reached the end of the focus tube.

If anyone else has used a similar set up and can advise the setting I should be using and process with Sequence Pro Generator to start doing V curves that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

John K

I have this setup and there is a driver that makes SGPro think that you have an "Absolute"focuser. I believe it is available from Shoestring. If not try JMI. “FCUSB Combination Focuser Driver”. It is an ASCOM driver. Install it on your computer then it will show up in the drop-down box under “focuser” in SGPro. Chose it, then click on the "wrench/screwdriver symbol. Pick “Absolute”. It works OK.

I have exactly the same problem as you, Johnk, although my set is a shoestring FCUSB + skywatcher motorised focuser.
I checked the “absolute” wrench/screwdriver symbol when I installed it but, like Johnk says, “the software seem to simply extend the focuser out and then keeps going unless I get it to stop rather than recognise that it has reached the end of the focus tube”.
I will keep on investigating…

A lot may be helpful here. Both the ASCOM log for your focuser and the SGP log. However it sounds like this may be an issue in the ASCOM driver or that the 0 position of the focuser is getting set incorrectly.

Thanks,
Jared

Not 100% sure if this is the same issue as what you’re having but I traced my issue with the focuser not wanting to stop back to the FCUSB needing to be on a powered USB hub. If I try to run straight from one of my computer’s USB ports to the FCUSB I would get this run-a-way in which the FCUSB LED light would remain green and the focuser would continue to move either in or out don’t know which. The only thing I found that fixed it was using a powered USB hub. Not sure if your issue is the same but that seemed to have fixed my issue I had. It’s as if the FCUSB needed more voltage/power than what the standard USB was able to supply.

Mark

Has anyone determined if PCFC works with SGP autofocus? Before I invest with this program I would to make sure it works.

I’m not sure what that is, but SGPro has a full 45 day trial with no restrictions exactly for reasons like this. Feel free to check it out.

I have tried the 45 day trial. Just wondering if anyone successful at getting it working with JMI PCFC.

Does SPG work with JMI Smartfocus controller?