SGP stable under Windows 8/8.1?

My current laptop (Windows Vista 32 bit) is getting pretty old and I am thinking about getting a new laptop. Nowadays, it’s getting harder to find brand new laptops equipped with Windows 7. I am not interested in refurbished laptops with Windows 7.

So, how well will SGP work under Windows 8/8.1? Any issues I should be aware of?

My equipment are:

Optec Focus Boss II and Handy Stepper Motor
Astro-Physics AP1100GTO mount
QSI 660wsg mono camera
SX Superstar mono autoguider

I will have to contact manufacturers of my products to see if they will work with Windows 8/8.1.

Thanks,
Peter

Well… Hilmi posted some issues with it on CN. There is a good thread in the CCD sub forum on his trials and tribulations.

You can still do the downgrade to Windows 7 I believe. It’s stable, most of the software is written for it at this point… do you have a reason to stick with Windows 8?

I saw that thread and prompted me to post it here.

I have no reason to stick to Windows 8 but laptops with Windows 7 are difficult to find. I prefer to buy new laptops locally so I can easily return for an exchange or refund but they are only available with Windows 8.

I may end up buying Windows 7 laptop from an online retailer.

So, anyone else use Windows 8 computer with their astro devices similar to mine and SGP? Any issues?

Peter

I use SGP with windows 8.1 without problems. However, I can’t help you with the rest of your equipment. However, most of the Windows 8 problems that I’ve read about with other equipment are not really windows 8 issues but are USB 3 issues. So, using windows 7 wouldn’t help in those cases. I still run everything from USB 2 devices, even thought I use Windows 8.1.

Tim

I don’t use any of that equipment (hopefully soon will have an AP mount though!) – but I do use SGP on Win8.1 without issues. I’d agree with what Tim says – there have been reports on some USB drivers, though it’s nothing I’ve hit with my equipment. Compatibility issues should be really rare.

Thank you all for responding. I am glad some of you do not have issues with Windows 8/8.1 and SGP. It would have been helpful if some of you could list all the equipment you use with SGP. I hope all of you use SGP’s auto focus and plate solving as a minimum.

If you do not feel comfortable listing your equipment, that’s fine.

Thanks,
Peter

Just as a reminder, you can list your equipment under the “about me” section in your profile. Then when someone clicks on your avatar they can see your “about me” including your equipment list. See this thread: Use About Me to List Equipment

Thanks Joel. I added my equipment to “About Me” profile.

Peter

SGP is developed on Windows 8.1 so I’m surprised to hear there are issues. Ken captures with Windows 8.1 and I use a mix of 8.1 and 7 (my obs machine is old and is running 7).

If someone could link to the mentioned thread I would appreciate it.

Now there might be issues with specific pieces of hardware and windows 8.1. But I don’t know of any SGP specific issues with windows 7 or 8.1.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

I didn’t mean to say that others are having issues with SGP and Windows 8/8.1. I have been reading about people having issues with Windows 8/8.1 with their astro equipment. Most issues I’ve read are usually related to USB 3.0 connecting to USB 2.0 astro devices. Good number of people are having issues with Maxim and Windows 8/8.1 so I wondered how others are doing with SGP and Windows 8/8.1.

Here is a thread from another forum but this is mostly between Maxim v6 and Windows 8/8.1. There was some mentioned about small issues with SGP but he used it for the first time so he didn’t have experienced with SGP.

Thanks,
People

Ah, gotcha. I’ve definitely had my share of USB 3.0/1.1 issues. Unfortunately many of my USB 1.1 devices are not compatible with USB 3.0. Most notably is my STL-11000.

However, even the PCs I have that are USB 3.0 still have at least a single 2.0 port.

Thanks,
Jared

What bothers me is the way USB 3.0 is advertised by saying it’s supposed to be backward compatible with USB 2.0 and should work with USB 2.0 devices. That does not seem to be happening.

When I get a new laptop whether it’s Windows 7 or 8/8.1, I will make sure it has at least one USB 2.0 port.

Peter

I personally haven’t had any compatibility issues between USB 3.0 and 2.0. Now USB 3.0 and 1.1 is a different story!

Jared

That’s really good to know about compatibility between USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Peter