SGP working with Paramount/TSX?

Hi,

I am a user of Paramount MyT and I am getting interested trying SGP for control/automation of my imaging session. In TSX (more specifically TPoint) after creating a model you don’t want to re-sync to corrupt the model, but I’ve read that SGP will issue sync command when doing centering. I am not sure if this issue is solved/can be solved and I can’t find related posts here. Can any Paramount users share their experience? Also, is there anything else I should be aware of as a Paramount user? I am also using Atik One 6.0 camera, Atik GP guider camera and Moonlite focuser, and I guess they are also supported (through ASCOM I think)?

Thanks,
Yizhou

You can disable the centering routine and just use slews if you’re concerned about the sync. Slew will not issue a sync.

Also now that we query the mount for the epoch first and sync using that epoch that this is less of an issue now (but I’m not certain as I don’t have a use TPoint).

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks Jared,

If I understand this right I can still do autoflip and other automate actions. Basically just trust the model’s pointing accuracy and just issue GoTo, no sync/recentering after GoTo?

BTW I think I’ve heard issues with JNow/J2000. Is that solved?

Thanks,
Yizhou

Hi Yizhou,

I have been using version 2.4.2 with TSX/t-point and I haven’t noticed any degradation in pointing when allowing SGP to sync. Aside from the scope, you and I have the exact same gear. I have no issues using SGP for automation. The coordinates are now converted to JNOW for mounts that require it so you should be go to go with your MyT.

Dave

Yes that was resolved a couple of releases back.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks Dave. That’s really good to know. I assume you have to uncheck something like “inhibit sync to protect model” in the ASCOM driver for The Sky? And I wonder if you tried to enable Protrack and do unguiding if you allow SGP to sync? There is no degrading pointing accuracy as well as Protrack correction?

I unchecked “Inhibit sync to protect model” in TSX ASCOM driver setup, and so far I haven’t been able to detect any problems. I have T-Point and ProTrack enabled. I can’t think of any gotchas using the Atik One, Moonlite focuser, and the MyT. Chris Woodhouse created some nice videos where he describes using SGP with a Paramount MX+.

I haven’t tried unguided imaging with SGP. I experimented with unguided imaging using TSX when I first got the mount just to see how long I can go (which was pretty far with a wide field setup - 15 min at 384mm), but I haven’t tried any real unguided imaging sessions yet.

Dave

www.mainsequencesoftware.com