SGPro will no longer support Windows 7 - Upgrade for Free

This is a PSA for all Windows 7 users. Please know, that as of January 14, 2020, SGPro will no longer be supported on Windows 7 machines. The good news is that I found this article which seems to imply you can still upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost:

Used the instructions referenced in that link last night, upgraded an aging Win 7 laptop to Win 10, no issues.

2 Likes

Likewise, all drivers for all of my camera’s, focuser, filter wheel, ASCOM, EQMod & SGP operated with no issues, in fact - my machine runs smoother and slightly faster.

I just upgraded to Win7.
It will just stop working?
Or will it just not be upgraded?

I doubt SGPro will just stop working, but it might. We just won’t be able to provide support for anything on Windows 7 after Jan 14th.

Upgrade simple. Thanks for saving a bit of cash. Rich

I’ve heard about the horror stories about Win10 updating mid sequence…really the only reason I haven’t upgraded before, plus the win 7 box works like a charm, if it ain’t broke…

Clear skies all.

Matthew

If that is happening to anyone btw, it doesn’t need to. This issue is quite easy to prevent…

While I absolutely understand an aversion to this announcement, the problem with not upgrading is that SGPro might just start to seem just “a little bit” unstable or flaky or that it works most of the time but is a little less consistent… meaning, the incompatibility probably won’t be blatantly obvious and we won’t be able to provide support.

This happened to me several times during an imaging session, but for the most part this has not been an issue for some time now. You can set “active” hours during which Windows will not auto install updates. I have that set for when I image and I have not had a interrupted session in a long time. You can also pause updating for up to 35 days, and you can set other parameters to avoid interruptions to stop auto notifications that you need a restart, etc.

I’ve heard about the horror stories about Win10 updating mid sequence…really the only reason I haven’t upgraded before, plus the win 7 box works like a charm, if it ain’t broke…

After Jan 14 when Microsoft will stop supporting Win 7, you should consider that your Win 7 is broken. You just won’t know about it any longer.

All fair points. My Win 7 machine never saw the internet and I hate having to remove all the games and associated crap from Win 10. No security patches is fine by me, I never updated anything on the machine after initial install except to add hardware drivers. But you’re all right and I will make the move albeit reluctantly!

Thank you for the feedback.

Matthew

Ken,

this was a great suggestion, thank you. I did not dare to do that before in order not to destabilize my capturing computer. I admit that I tested the update first with the notebook of my wife.

The update of my notebook from Windows 7 to Windows 10 lasted about 2 h, but then everything was fine. At the moment I am using SGP v3.1.0.387 after having updated Windows and ASCOM (from v 6.3 to v6.4 SP1), and I am glad that I did it. :+1:

Bernd

1 Like