SITELAT FITS keyword and Pixinsight

The latest version of Pixinsight rejects image files with the message:
*** Error: Parsing SITELAT FITS keyword: Parsing sexagesimal expression: Parsing 64-bit floating point expression: conversion error:
41⬛d8m6.720s N
*** Error: Parsing SITELONG FITS keyword: Parsing sexagesimal expression: Parsing 64-bit floating point expression: conversion error:
81⬛d19m33.600s W
*** Error: Parsing RA FITS keyword: Right ascension value out of range: ‘168.68270980429’

Pixinsight claims:
“These are invalid values for the SITELAT and SITELONG keywords. See the SBIG proposal for FITS keyword extensions document. The expected format for these nonstandard keywords is the same as OBJCTDEC, that is, ‘DDD MM SS.sss’. Another example of the endless universe of FITS interoperability problems.”

This is a big deal to me as it as shut my asteroid astrometry program down if I continue to use SGP.
Hope it is fixed very soon.

Randy

I saw two posts on this in the Pixinsight forum so I know others have this problem.

A temporary solution is to roll back to a previous version of Pixinsight.

BTW - you can still integrate, but not drizzle.

You can edit FITS headers in Pixinsight so I wonder if that would be a temporary workaround until SGP is changed.

Thanks - but I think you can only edit individual files.
For example, in the latest project I have 235 lum, and 60 each R, G, and B. Way to many to hand edit.
Also the “black block” doesn’t show in FITS header reader which appears to read info correctly.

I think this has been fixed… I fixed something like this recently. Didn’t make the beta though. I’ll make sure it’s fixed though.

1 Like

I can confirm I have the same problem. The SITELAT keyword saved by the latest SGP is an invalid format. It doesn’t impact my processing in PixInsight but would be nice to have this fixed. Thanks.

www.mainsequencesoftware.com