Speed of focus runs

Hi - Just wondering if it is possible to speed up the processing of focus runs? For instance, if I crop the autofocus frames, will that give the processor less work to do? Would it cause problems with the autofocus logic?
I currently use 7 auto focus data points and on monitoring the system performance in task manager, the cpu maxes out during the focus processing. It takes about 50 seconds per point.

The computer is a small form dell optiplex 780, dual core, 3 GHz with 8G RAM and on board graphics

thanks for any thoughts/ suggestions (buy a more powerful computer…:slight_smile: )
Paul

a friend with one of the optiplex machines has lent me a graphics card which I’m going to try in the next few days. I don’t know if the system will be able to offload some processing to this or not. I’ll report back my findings.
Paul

Hi Paul,

the best you can do is to replace the hard disk of that computer with an SSD. SGP is not graphic intensive at all, so the grphic card will not bring you much.

… 8GB RAM …<< I suppose you have a 64bit Windows.

Kind regards,
Horia

sorry 8 GB ram was a mistake - its 4. OS is 64 bit win 10
best wishes
Paul

thanks Horia, I am awaiting a response from the Dell folks on that one. There’s a pciex X16 slot on the board and I’m hoping the machine bios will support an M2 SSD hosted on the PCIEx card.

Unfortunately the machine is a 2010 version with a non uefi bios and the pciex is version 1. I’ll see what Dell say before I go ahead. If it’s possible I’ll report back.

Interestingly though, its the cpu which maxes, drive activity is only about 50% during the focus runs.

best wishes

Paul