Stair stepping of images in mosaics

I have a 3 panel mosaic and each image is offset from one another the same amount. I imaged linked in SkyX to determine the FOV rotation angle for my camera and entered 9 degrees in the Mosaic add-on in SGP. What might be happening here?

Thanks! Rick

It’s likely 1 of 2 things:

1. The rotation angle is wrong somewhere
  2. The coordinates are wrong somewhere.

The “somewhere” is the problem. If I were to hazard a guess I would think that the epoch is set incorrectly somewhere. SGP will ask your mount for the epoch it’s using and will convert (if needed) to those coordinates.

Also if you use the Framing and Mosaic wizard you can use that to determine your rotation angle…no need to use something external.

Jared

Ok I’m back on this problem.

So right now, I plate solve an image using SkyX and my Paramount MX. I then read the angle from the plate solve info and enter that angle into the framing and mosaic wizard. When you say that SGP can do this and there is no need to have SkyX do it, how is this done in SGP?

Also where do I set the proper epoch in SGP?

Thanks!
Rick

You use the Framing and Mosaic Wizard:

SGP reads the Epoch from your scope. All coordinates entered in SGP are assumed to be J2000. But we will transform and communicate with your scope via it’s Epoch.

Jared

Just to be clearer… The camera on the scope has a position angle. I have to match that angle in the Framing and Mosaic Wizard. So I need to know what that angle is before I can enter into the Framing and Mosaic Wizard. I do that by plate solving in Sky X.

Or I use the Framing and Mosaic Wizard to frame the mosaic, get that position angle and then change the position angle of the camera on the scope. Right?
Thanks!

Rixon Reed
Director
photo-eye, LLC
Art Photo Index
376 Garcia Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501

505.988.5152 x111

You can work it either way. Guess it just depends on what you’re after. Typically I’m after a shot framed a certain way. So I go into the Framing and Mosaic Wizard, rotate and frame the target to my liking, then use the “Manual Rotator” to match that angle once the sequence has been created.

You can do the opposite as well. You can plate solve and sync to get the angle (you can do this in SGP as well). Then transfer that angle to the Framing and Mosaic Wizard. Currently we don’t allow the Framing and Mosaic Wizard to auto populate the camera angle and I believe this use case is the outlier. Most folks tend to frame things to their liking and move the camera to match. But either is fine, use what works best for you.

If you’re using a rotator you should note that the sky angle (what a plate solve will return) and the rotator angle are not the same thing. The rotator hardware doesn’t know what the sky angle is or does it have the ability to sync with the sky angle.

Jared

Great, thanks.

Now… >> You can plate solve and sync to get the angle (you can do this in SGP as well).
How is this done manually in SGP? The only plate solve that I do is part of the F&M Wizard.

If you’re using a rotator you should note that the sky angle (what a plate solve will return) and the rotator angle are not the same thing. The rotator hardware doesn’t know what the sky angle is or does it have the ability to sync with the sky angle.

Ok, just to be clear… I am supposed to put the angle into the F&M Wizard as determined by the plate solve (not the rotator angle).

I have no rotator. I rotate the entire scope in the rings. I have the angle reader shown below mounted on the QSI camera top (north up).

The angle on this device would be something similar to a rotator angle, correct?
If I want to frame the object using the F&M Wizard, and it says 37 degrees. How would then I translate that to the rotator angle so that I have the right field of view?

Thanks!

Rixon Reed
Director
photo-eye, LLC
Art Photo Index
376 Garcia Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501

505.988.5152 x111

Just use the Solve and Sync from the plate solve tab. You’ll need to setup a plate solver first. A good place to start is our documentation on Plate Solvers. I’d recommend PinPoint or PlateSolve 2 if you’re just starting out. If you have an internet connection Astrometry requires almost no setup. http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/PlateSolvers.html

Yes, if you don’t want to bother rotating the scope to get the framing you desire.

Your best best is to use the Manual Rotator device in SGP and use the “Rotate Now” option from the target menu. This will solve, sync and determine how far your angle is off from the angle specified in your target. It will then prompt you to rotate the scope X degrees in Y direction. You could likely get fairly accurate rotation in a couple of attempts using your angle gauge and this method.

Jared