Start-up / run sequence needed I think

Had problem earlier with everything waiting, and waiting, and waiting for guider calibration to finish then everything stopped after the first frame. Really not sure why. Running now but guiding goes off after dither between frames…

This is the first night under the stars using SGP so expected problems - now need some fine tuning.

Advice gratefully received

Francis

My final image from last night. M1 not centred, not sure exactly why but guessing its the difference between the RA/Dec positions in different data sets.
10 x 300s luminance through thin cloud. Simple stack + ABE and a histogram stretch.
Will have a further check today in daylight to get everything working and with luck try again tonight.
Francis

1 Like

On the guider calibration - while SGP can instigate it, quite a number of us aim at stars close to the celestial equator (DEC=0) and calibrate PHD2 independently. We tell PHD2 to remember the calibration (in one of its Brain settings) and shut it down.
If you fire up SGP - it will connect all the equipment (including PHD2), slew, center and kick off guiding at the right time. In this way SGP knows what PHD2 is doing and it is very reliable.
It appears that SGP does not enquire on PHD2 status all the time and it can happen that if you interfere with PHD2, say to stop guiding, SGP thinks it is still guiding. In addition watch out for aborting a sequence and then resuming, it can also get things out of sync with PHD2. If I abort a sequence, I shut down PHD2 program entirely and restart the sequence for reliability.

Don’t know about the sequence stopping without more information on your settings or log files.

Thanks Buzz. I’m hoping for a re-run tonight. I’ll try out using PHD2 independently and see how it goes.

Hey Francis… Great to see you back at it :smile:

Hi Sara, I keep dropping in although guitar building is taking more of my time lately (that and a house move - now near Hereford).
I see you’re turning out superb work on a regular basis. Always good to see a flickr post with your name tagged to it.

Currently making the change from maxim to SGPro and its not going well but hey ho we’ll get there.

Clear skies

1 Like