Starter for 10 - using a NUC as a telescope hub?

I think the prices are generally falling (Moore’s law) Fortunately I have a spare 128Gb SSD and Win7 Pro - I would just need to buy memory. I like the idea of it running off 12Volts too. It might be worth a go - I spent more failing to get a netbook to work.

I just ordered one of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00REGG6QU/

Not exactly a NUC, but it as a builtin battery a wanted feature for field use. The unit should be light enough to ride on the dovetail. I used to run everything on a ASUS 9 inch netbook (1G ram, single core 700MHz celestron), the netbook runs natively on 12V and it was perfect for the field. The netbook dies last year and now I run everything from a full laptop, but that gonna change soon.

Cheers,

Jose

That’s interesting Jose I didn’t realise they existed, it is probably more powerful than a Cray 2- I think the Atom is one down from a Celerion. In my case, I think I would require more power as I have to run TSX for the mount control and I probably will need an i3 or i5. I had a Samsung netbook last year but had to let it go. The USB’s were not fast enough and I had banding on SXVR H18 downloads - which disappeared when I substituted the computer for a Macbook Pro - both through the same powered hub. Some work, some don’t.

I’m going to buy a NUC over the weekend and just configure it as a do-it-all astro hub - I have not yet got adhoc remote desktop working yet - but I’m sure I can figure out what is preventing it.

Don’t think you will be disappointed, apart from my own I have built or been involved in the building of a couple for more for exactly this function.

The adhoc this is strange as get get it to work with 8.1 systems but don’t have any windows 7 systems left to test on.

Welcome to give me a shout if any problems, only a few miles from me.

I just got my Paramount MX, and I plan to run theskyx as well, I let you know how it goes. theskyx runs fine on a 4gb, core2 due laptop, I hope it does the same on the headless mini pc.

I let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Jose

Hi Jose

Can confirm all works flawlessly, have the same set-up, Paramount MX so SkyX, SGP, PHD2 and also run web browsers looking at my AllSky and cloud sensor. Will be adding all the automation for the obs within the next couple of months.

I have the i5 version with 8Gb ram and a 1tb Hybrid drive, CPU sits around 35% mark, peaking to 65%-80% if scrolling around the SkyX (not that I tend to do that much) and memory used is below 3Gb so dont think the i3 will have many issues.

What you lose is by going the remote desktop route is OpenGL support, so no photographic horizon or virtual mount.

Thanks for your help everyone. Just ordered a new I5 Intel NUC- with 4GB, WiFi and 128GB SSD, along with a StarTech 7-way industrial USB2 hub. Came to £420. I could have used my existing 128GB SSD but I figured, if anything went wrong, it was easier to complain if all the components came assembled from one supplier. Once I have it working on the end of the USB over Cat 5 system, I’ll change the 4-way hub + another 4-way hub in my interface box over to a 7-way with a short lead out to the NUC. I would embed the NUC too, except my interface box is steel and would block the WiFi signal. I’ll disable OpenGL and just open the curtains to see where the scope is pointing…

Got an Intel D54250 NUC. Very nicely made, much better than I expected. Loading all the software (Windoze did 144 system updates !) and trying to find ways to copy all the preference files for all the apps without having to recreate them. I’ll try it on 12V lead acid cell and see if it works.

One question - I know you can get a PC to autoconnect to a WiFi network when you power it up - so it can be simply powered up and then logged into using Remote Desktop - but can you get a PC to create an Adhoc connection on power-up too? It would need to create it so that you could connect remotely from the log-in screen.

What version of windows?

a batch file with the command

netsh wlan connect adhocSSID

placed in the startup folder. For this to work you would need no password on the main account system the system auto logs in.

If wanted to maintain the password would need to create a task in task scheduler that executes when the computer starts that runs the same command.

If setup to auto connect to your home wireless you would need to disable this and the adhoc network will not start if there is a valid wireless network to connect to.

UPDATE: modified the command, does not like angle brackets in the forum

While I do find these to be pretty cool little machines. Let’s try to keep topics here focused on MSS software. If you want to discuss how these NUCs relate to using SGP we’re all for it.

Thanks,
Jared

No problem Jared - I thought it was OK in a general category. Since SGP is so good at starting up automatically with the minimum of GUI interaction, it lends itself to being embedded in a tiny purpose-built machine and operated wirelessly from something like an iPad. I’ll take it off line and then when it is figured out, just put something on a webpage and pop a link back here.

I was enjoying the talk. I have a amd HTPC that I use. Something like a NUC might be a good option.

Here is my report on how to get SGP running in a dinky little PC at the mount. Needs a little refinement but the basics are there. Trevor and I are trying to figure out how we get a secure adhoc network to work too.

http://www.digitalastrophotography.co.uk/Astrophotography/Blog/Entries/2015/3/22_Intel_NUC_for_camera%2C_mount_and_imaging.html

1 Like

Thanks for the write up buzz. I’ve been controlling SGP in the field in the exact same way but with two laptops that are power hungry. Nice kit! I may have to invest as well.

Buzz,

Nice write up! I am waiting for my mini pc to arrive, however I do have a headless mini pc in my observatory and instance of adhoc networking I have set it up as access point. I find it more convenient this way cause I can hook any device to the headless box (android does not support adhooc networking).

Cheers,

Jose