Still no luck with Plate Solve 2

I am using a Moonlite Nightcrawler with Plate Solve 2 and I am having little luck getting the plate solve to work. The image is taken, the rotator moves into position but when it tries to solve the plate, the green bar just cycles… endlessly. I synced the software with CDC, performed a solve & sync in that region of the sky to confirm my location. My confidence came in at 255 (which I think is good). I updated my angle and scale in the control panel. Went into F&M wizard and created a sequence on NGC 7023. I went into the gear icon on the target and checked “slew to”. Chose my directory and hit Run. The first (image the plate) and second (rotate to object) steps in my solve were fine, full green bars. When step three started, the bars just kept scrolling. I waited for about 10 minutes and nothing happened. I finally aborted. I tried a second time… same thing. I would have tried a second time, but the clouds came in. I am not sure if it is software issue in SGP, an issue with the solver or something else. I could really use some assistance! Here is the log: Dropbox - sg_logfile_20180604232227.txt - Simplify your life

To see if it is a problem with PlateSolve2 navigate to the SGP directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Sequence Generator) and run PlateSolve2 directly.

As you run it make sure it is configured under the file menu to be able to find the catalog directories since running directly won’t be able to tell that from SGP.

Under File open an image to solve and you should see both the coordinates and field size. Click the Plate Match button to do the solve. If it solves here, it should solve from withing SGP and you can eliminate PlateSolve2 as part of your problem.

1 Like

My “solve & sync” worked fine and had an accuracy of 255. the catalog locations are green and report as “Okay”. Doesn’t solve and sync use Platesolve 2? If so, then it worked fine during my solve and sync. When I attempted to start my sequence, it slewed to fairly close to NGC 7023 but it wasn’t centered. My rotator reported zero degrees of error.

Ken/Jared, can someone please offer me some insight or at least an acknowledgement?

Make sure that the rotator is reversed in the ascom settings of the nitecrawler driver.

Thanks
Jared

Thanks, Jared! Yes the rotator is reversed. Every aspect of the solve worked, except the solve. The rotator was zero degrees error. The solve and sync gave me the scale and angle. The last step, confirming the the image, would not perform. The load bar just kept going. For 10 minutes before I aborted the solve. Twice. When I looked at the plate image, I wasn’t centered based on my frame and focus as I was offset a bit. But my polar alignment was spot on based on PHD2.

It appears that the weather is going to cooperate this evening. What can I upload to perhaps get some assistance with my plate solving issue? Can I upload a video or just a screen shot? I’ve tried uploading my log but that doesn’t seem to detail the problem.

Not sure if I’ll be able to help at all, but post a screenshot of your plate solve settings (Control Panel/Plate Solve Tab).

Are you using a blind solve failover in case PS2 fails?

I am using Astronometry for blind failover, but it isn’t even getting to the blind solve. It just cycles through.