Still problems centering cge-pro 2.5.2.8


#1

sg_logfile_20161216215833.txt (290.7 KB)

I dunno - I have tried the new syncless centering with cge-pro in different ways - and they still don’t seem to work. I thought offset2 was the thing that should work - but it hit a particular offset and just stayed there. So I tried the other centering options and they didn’t help much either.

I attach a log that includes a period of autofocus - followed by multiple attempts at centering on a target.

Any time you see the mount repeatedly going somewhere and it is wrong by the same amount - you know it hasn’t done the obvious compensation that’s needed. So I think the subtraction still isn’t quite right.

Frank


Scope centering examples and problems - simple fix
#2

I don’t know if it means anything, but I see messages like the following:

[12/16/2016 9:59:19 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Telescope: Setting sync behavior to: Offset2

But during the actual centering process I only see:

[12/16/2016 10:11:48 PM] [DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Telescope: Sync behavior set to “OFFSET”, offsets updated:

That second message never says “OFFSET2”. So it seems like during the centering process it is still using the original version of the syncless centering - rather than the new one that corrects for landing error.

I could be misinterpreting the log - but that’s what the behavior seemed like.

From my own tests, corrections for landing error should work very well in 1 or 2 iterations.

Frank


#3

It is. We can take a look to see what is going on with the (lack of) convergence. Not a lot of testing in “Offset2” at this point.


#4

That’s just some lazy logging. OFFSET and OFFSET2 both use the same method to update offsets…but the offsets are updated from different data (offset2 uses the ref image data, offset uses the sync)…but they both come through the same method to adjust the actual offset and there was no change in logging.

I think I see the problem though. This probably worked ok until I added back in the functionality which would still allow you to sync the mount via Solve and Sync.

So what’s happening now is that we Solve and Sync as part of the Auto Center and actually sync the mount at one of the steps, when for OFFSET2 we should be completely ignoring this step.

I actually spent a fair amount of time refactoring some things around this area this evening and changed quite a bit. Overall it eliminates the sync that was likely destroying the offsets. It also removes “Step 2” entirely (The Solve and Sync Step) as well as Solve and Sync from the Meridian Flip. Should be out in the next beta. Keep in mind these changes are fairly large so use with caution.

Thanks,
Jared


#5

Great - glad it helped. I am happy to try the next thing and - no pressure - but I appear to have clear skies and will be imaging again in about 12 hours from now. I am in the +11 time zone. So if there is anything for me to try by then I’m happy to give it a go. It may be clear again later this week - but tonight does look good. Just fyi in case you might have something available for testing.

Thanks,
Frank


#6

OK - thanks for posting 2.6.0.0 - I was indeed able to try it - but I think something is still a bit off. In this case dec. converged quickly but RA was stuck at around 400 pixels. I only tried Offset2.

Attached is a small log involving two tests. The first failed due to inability to plate solve - which rarely happens for me. The second was a test using “Center Now” with provided J2000 coordinates in the target dialog - as I have done before. I allowed 10 iterations to capture more of the convergence behavior.

Thanks,
Frank

sg_logfile_20161218222940.txt (110.1 KB)


www.mainsequencesoftware.com