Strange behavior in my sequence


#1

I hope someone can take a look at my log file from last night and tell me what happened because I am very confused. Pier flip has been a complete disaster for me the last few times out. Last night I decided I wanted to acquire data so I picked two targets that would not cross the meridian. From 9:30 to 2:00 I would image NGC 6995 and from 2:00 until 5:30 M31. When I went out this morning SPG indicated “Sequence Paused (captured until time limit)”. I check the NGC6995 file and I had 23 nice subs. File M31 appeared to have 16 subs until I opened them and saw that the first four subs, 2015-07-25_M31 _600sec_frame1_36.0C_Light.CR2 thru 2015-07-25_M31 _600sec_frame4_36.0C_Light.CR2 were of NGC6995. The remaining 12 subs in the file were of M31.

In looking at the log, SGP seemed to have continued to capture NGC6995 until 2:43 when it did a pier flip and PHD2 never recovered. This by the way is the pier flip issue I have been having all along. At some point it gave up and moved M31 where PHD2 recovered and good subs were captured the rest of the evening.

I am not an expert at reading the logs. I can kind of see what is happening but I don’t have a clue what it all means.
I wasn’t sure what all you might want to see so I have dumped everything into a dropbox file.

If you could help me understand this I would appreciate it.

Rich


#2

Rich,

I have not had time to look through your logs, but a quick inspection of tour sequence file shows that the “M31” target was not set to re-center the scope when it started (so it continued taking images of the first target).

I will add some code to 2.4.2 that inspects targets on start. If you have entered a location, but not checked “center”, SGPro will ask you if you meant to do this.

Ken


#3

Thanks Ken A basic oversight on my part that really had me scratching my head.

Rich


#4

So I have had a similar issues last night in which the sequence failed to move on to the second target. I had NGC 6960 set to run from 9:30pm to 1:30am then move to M2 from 1:30am to 5:30 am. NGC6960 completed successfully.
At 1:20:01 this was posted in the log:
7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Looking at target NGC6960…
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target is active: True
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target is complete: False
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target marked as past end time: True
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target has end time: True
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target end time: 7/28/2015 1:30:00 AM
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Looking at target M2…
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target is active: False
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target is complete: False
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target marked as past end time: False
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target has end time: True
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Target end time: 7/28/2015 5:30:00 AM
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Sequence complete.
[7/28/2015 1:20:01 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] No valid targets remain, aborting. …

Have I set up something incorrectly to cause M2 to be ignored? I have placed the complete log and screen shots of my set up in my dropbox. Any insight into this would be appreciated.


#5

It looks like the target is not checked.


#6

Ken, I guess I am not seeing that. I have checked the Target box, the run box and the start time. Is there something else I am missing?

Rich


#7

According to the log, the target was not selected when the sequence started or when it checked later:

[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] * Target M2
[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] -Active: False
[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] -Start Time: True
[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] -Start: 7/28/2015 1:30:00 AM
[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] -End Time: True
[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] -End: 7/28/2015 5:30:00 AM
[7/27/2015 10:07:45 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] -Auto Rotate: False


#8

Ken I included screen shots of the sequence showing the check box checked. I guess it is possible that I unchecked it and rechecked it without realizing. I am gone tonight and then we have clouds in the forecast. So I will try again this weekend.

Thanks

Rich


#9

OK. Well I don’t really have any other suggestions. We test complex sequences before releasing (btw, you are using an unsupported version of SGPro) and I have verified that all target switching happens as expected.


#10

Thanks Ken it must just be sloppiness on my part.


#11

Not necessarily. It just means that I am unable to reproduce this behavior with my testing. In order to assist (assuming it continues to happen), we would require a more concise set of steps to reproduce.


www.mainsequencesoftware.com