Stuck at "resuming the auto guider"

@Brian_Valente

I don’t see anywhere in the log where you attempted to connect gear in PHD2 (or instructing SGPro to do it). I see where SGPro connects successfully to PHD2 (so your seup there is correct):

[1/31/2017 8:24:26 PM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Startup Thread] Connecting to PHD2…
[1/31/2017 8:24:26 PM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Startup Thread] Waiting for socket connection to PHD2…
[1/31/2017 8:24:26 PM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] Attempting to connect to PHD2…
[1/31/2017 8:24:27 PM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Startup Thread] Successfully connected to PHD2…

Did you set your PHD2 profile and specify it in SGPro (along with checking the box to auto connect)?

Hi Ken

Thanks - yes I believe I set the PHD2 path and profile correctly (it was correctly populated)

I tried again tonight, and i was successful only when I manually connected the equipment from within PHD2 prior to attempting the sequence.

Is that how it’s supposed to work?

I thought I SGP would fire up up PHD2 and initiate those connections based on the profile i entered in the settings.

At least i’m enjoying dithering now!

Cheers

Brian

You can ask SGPro to establish a PHD2 gear profile connection when the sequence starts. Of course, if you do this this onus is on you to ensure that your calibration profile is valid and that you can trust PHD2 from a blind start. But… here it is if you are interested:

http://www.mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/AutoGuiders.html

My 2 cents per my newbie tinkering last night. If your on a mobile mount, open phd2 and get it calibrated before starting your sequence. My mount/setup takes about 5 minutes to calibrate, in that time SGP times out. Once you do that you can start your sequence. It will say resuming auto guider in the status bar and also give a settle pixel number. Open the configuration and change it to suffice the requirement and SGP will continue. I think I settled on 0.5. May not be the best plan but it will at least let you start tinkering with the actual imaging part of the sequence.

Hello,
I’m having the same issues WRT “resuming the auto guider”. I’ve read thru the manual and went thru this thread and nothing helped.

In my instance SGP does exactly what I want it to do but it can’t get past the "resuming"issue.

Another issue I have a question with is, why does SGP connect to PHD2 and ultimately get stuck on “resuming” when in my equipment profile and in the Control Panel option I have NO Autoguider selected?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Roberto

I, too, am constantly stuck at “Resuming Autoguider” after platesolving.

SGP opens PHD2, doesn’t connect, then platesolves, then “Resuming Autoguider” comes up, but equipment is never connected and the software hangs. I have to abort the sequence.

This was solved when I closed SGP and PHD2, I then re-opened SGP and clicked on “Connect All Equipment,” which also opened PHD2. Ran a sequence, and everything worked as it should. Others with this issue try this and report back.

This indeed is a bug in SGP hat I have noticed frequently:
If PHD2 is not running and you click “Connect All Equipment”, SGP then will correctly start up PHD2, connect correctly and work perfectly. If however, you start PDH2 manually before clicking “Connect All Equipment”, then SGP will disconnect PDH2 and not do a reconnect, resulting in a hang trying to “Resume Autoguider”.

You are correct. That seems to be the trick is to start fresh every time. Even if I start an instance of SGP and connect equipment manually, there is not an option in the CP to connect PHD2, and it will give me this “resuming autoguider” hang-up whenever I begin a sequence. Even though it starts PHD2, it won’t connect the equipment or progress any further than just opening.

Just a fresh start of SGP and “Connect All” works every time.

The only time i can get it working again short of restarting everything is to stop the sequence, manually restart the guiding (choose guide star, click guide button) and then restart.

sometimes it’s easier than having to reboot everything, but not by much

B

I don’t recall seeing the behavior and I always manually start up PHD and get guiding setup. I’ll see if I can duplicate this behavior though. Maybe something has changed and you all certainly image more than we do!

Thanks,
Jared

I have had the PHD2 not starting issue. And when I investigate, it is because Lodestar and/or mount has not connected. I am not so certain as Jerry that this is restricted to times when I have started PHD2 myself, rather than have SGP do it. I almost always start up everything using SGP. However, it is possible that the times I have had the problem, I have had an aborted start for some reason and so PHD2 is already running when SGP tries to connect the second time around.

None of the above is of much use to diagnosis, but I add my 2c just to confirm that this does appear to be a not uncommon problem. It doesn’t ‘bother’ me too much since I always ‘supervise’ the start up process. I can see that it could be very annoying though to lose a good night because of this fault.

I manually start up PHD and then in SGP click “connect all” and it works fine

there definitely are situations where it doesn’t connect correctly. I think i experienced what gnomus said - if PHD is aborted somehow, that’s when it doesn’t go as expected.

also if the connect equipment dialog is open in PHD, it won’t connect either

Brian

@gnomus, the difference here may be a distinction between
"Starting PHD2" and
"Starting PHD2 and also Connecting PHD2 to mount and camera"
In my case when I refer to “Starting PHD2” I am also performing the Connection.
If you just open PHD2 but don’t make the Connections, it may work fine. Not sure.

There are definitely some quirks between PHD2 and SGP. If I start up PHD2 through SGP, it is 100% fine. Things go awry if I do abort/resume or do any manual intervention. I owe Andy some log files on this to work out what is happening. All I can say is that the behavior suggests that SGP is making the wrong status assumption for PHD2, though under the surface, it might be a different cause. It should be clear tonight and I will try and generate the conditions for these ‘disconnects’.

I second what Buzz has said here. This com problem has occurred often for me. If normal image taking/guiding process is interrupted, there is a strong possibility that SGP will not be able to reconnect with PHD2, perhaps a state miscommunication issue. The solution that has always worked for me is I manually select a guide star and start the guiding. Then SGP is happy. Unfortunately, this requires me monitoring the session.

I’ve experienced similar issues from time to time.

what i have been experiencing the last several nights is “resuming autoguider”, the PHD2 graph shows it is guiding, ad the :resuming autoguider:is stuck, even though SGP indicates it is running the sequence. Elapsed time clock keeps running but no image. On the control panel I have :connect PHD2: on open and connect when sequence starts. I’ve also tried connecting phd2 bbefore running sequence. Tonight should be clear, so I will try suggestions in this thread.

Is the PHD2 graph showing that guiding is working centrally and not displaced up\down, if it is then you need to check your polar alignment…