SX camera plate solve download hangs

SGP has no problem taking subs, or doing exposures in the Frame and Focus docking module. However it hangs when downloading a plate solve image when autocentering. My camera is an SX Trius 814.
link to the log file below. The issue occured at 21:50. Any clues as I can’t image anymore?

@PeterGoodhew

This is a known issue in 2.5.1.17 that does not affect all users. For efficiency’s sake, we have decided not to correct in 2.5.1. Since you are affected, you should download and use the 2.6.0 beta (largely stable at this point).

Ken, I’m having further problems with image downloading from the SX Trius 814.
It seems to happen with bin 2x2 bias files. Bin 1x1 bias works fine!
Log link: Dropbox - File Deleted

I’ve just discovered that SGP doesn’t hang on the Bias subs if I take a Light sub beforehand!

@PeterGoodhew

You might want to check with your ASCOM driver’s author to see what this means:

[03/02/2017 11:46:41] [DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : CheckDotNetExceptions ASCOM.SXMain0.Camera ImageReady Get System.Exception: Unable to complete get_ImageReady request due to previous error (See Inner Exception for details) (System.Exception: Unable to complete get_ImageReady request due to previous error)

Also… there is no previous error. This seems to be the first one.

Ken, I have raised it with Starlight Xpress and am waiting a response.

On what may be a related issue, I have noticed horizontal banding on dark frames. These are barely visible normally, but very pronounced when stretched. I raised this with Starlight Xpress, and they asked me to try again using MaximDL rather than SGP. In MaximDL the banding does not appear - so it looks like it could be an SGP-related issue. Here is a Dropbox link to a dark frame from SGP:

and here is a stretched JPEG from the same frame:

Peter

The best way to troubleshoot here is:

• Use the ASCOM driver in MaximDL (not the native one). If it’s still there, it is probably an artifact of the SX ASCOM driver.
  • Open and stretch the MaximDL and SGPro images in an application like PixInsight. This will tell you if it’s an artifact of the stretching routine and not really a real difference in the image data. You can also check the linear intensity of the band to see if it’s actually the same across images.

Maxim produces no banding using the ASCOM driver.

Although I don’t have Pixinsight I have inspected the images by stretching them in SGP, Maxim and CCDStack. All 3 programs show the same results.

@PeterGoodhew

OK, well… That’s a bummer. I don’t really have much insight here. SGPro takes the data from the camera and writes it directly to the FITS file. It does not modify it in any way. In addition to this, your camera uses the same exact code as any other ASCOM camera. There is zero special code for SX cameras.

In your shoes, I would, using the ASCOM driver in both applications do the simplest thing that reproduces the issue. In each case (SGPro and MaximDL), preserve and compare the SX ASCOM camera logs to see if something different is happening between the two applications.

Ken, this has been difficult to diagnose because I now know that the problem is intermittent.
The good news is that I have at last managed to replicate the problem in Maxim, which suggests that the problem lies with the ASCOM driver, as I have not been able to replicate it with the native SX driver in Maxim. The problem isn’t with SGP.
Thanks, as always, for such responsive support. You guys really are good.
Peter

@PeterGoodhew

No problem… glad you’re on the the next step.

Hi Peter,

I am experiencing this same issue that you were back in February. I suspect that it is coming from the Ascom driver. Can you let me know what you ended up doing to solve this problem.

Two nights in a row imaging got hung up and failed because of this error and I would like to get to the bottom of it and stop it from happening again.

Thanks Peter i’m looking forward to getting your response.

Sean

Sean, in my case I traced it to a faulty main board in my camera. Starlight Xpress shipped me a new main board and all of my problems went away.

Wow okay. I looked at the log files and it pretty much says the same thing that you posted. I have another post on here titled “Weird PHD issue” that I am now beginning to think is all tied together.

I have noticed lately that during a nights imaging the Ascom error message would appear in PHD and I would have to stop the exposure and reboot PHD to get it resolved.

This is a bummer. I stay up half the night keeping an eye on it and the minute I trust it and go to sleep this happens and I wake up to a “sequence abort”