Take lights THEN park THEN take calibration frames

Hi and thank you for reading this. I now feel comfortable enough with SGP to leave it running all night let it park the scope when the sequence is done (which will close the roll off roof with Sky Roof) but I would like for the Telescope to Take lights THEN park which will close the roof THEN switch off guiding THEN take calibration frames, and THEN turn off the camera cooling when the sequence is done. That would be VERY cool if I could do that.

Any ideas/thoughts/procedures would be greatly appreciated!

Best!

Pablo Lewin
The Maury Lewin Memorial Observatory Glendora,CA USA.

This is easily done. Click on the last light event settings:

Click on event settings then under post event options click on park
telescope.

Cool thank you Joel!

One more question please. Say I’m executing an LRGB of Bode’s Galaxy (Actually doing it right now) I have 7 events, 4 lights and 3 calibration events. I now set it up to park post event 4. Say I get a guiding failure during event 3 which means it will never complete event 4 for the park command to be sent. What I did is I went to the equipment/telescope and checked park telescope when sequence complete as a back up…did I do it right?
Thanks!
Pablo

Not exactly. If there is a guiding failure and the sequence aborts, with these settings your mount will park but the calibration frames will not complete.

What you need to do is go to Tools/Options/Sequence Options and choose “Capture calibration frames even if the sequence fails to complete.”

I’ve never done this myself so take it with a grain of salt, but I believe this is what will work for you.

Thank you again! by the way your recommendations on this thread worked really well last night. Thanks!

It happen last night again so I’m not too clear. I had 4 targets going , on the 4th target I was to capture lights then park then capture calibration files in the park position (light panel faces scope ONLY in park position) On target 3 it got cloudy so detector commanded an unsafe situation,sequence terminated and since I had the park scope when sequence finished checked the scope parked, roof closed…but no calibration files were taken. What would be the correct setup for the above example? I mean on target 2 I get an unsafe situation,I want the scope to park,roof to close, calibration files taken then turn off cooler on the camera. Is this possible?
Thanks!

I think you are asking a lot, the system has to know that some activity can continue, when the mount is unsafe and parked. This could be unique to your system, other people may not be able to collect calibration data with a parked mount, or only dark data, not flats.

I doubt that anything like this is possible but if it is I would expect the calibration data collection tasks would need to be in a separate target that was, in some way, marked as capable of being done in the unsafe state.

Chris, I believe it is quite normal for observatories to collect calibration data while parked and with the roof closed,all I’m saying is that if an “unsafe” situation prompted the parking and closure then there’s got to be a way to allow sgp to continue gathering calibration data under those circumstances. Why waste a whole night just because it got cloudy…data is data.
Best!

My point is that there’s a limit to what can be achieved with software that was intended to be a relatively light weight, simple to use application for collecting imaging data. All I’m suggesting is that asking for complex behaviour round going unsafe may be asking too much of such an application.

@joelshort made a suggestion for doing this a few months ago, did that work?

Chris, with all due respect, I wasn’t asking of the DEVELOPERS for anything other than information vis a vis whether what I need done it is possible or not…sometimes there are hidden features/things I missed . I don’t know what the limits are by the way, I’m just a user and not a programmer.and no it didn’t work. What I want to know if there’s a feature that will allow my observatory after parking itself and closing the roof due to an unsafe sky situation to continue capturing calibration files. This is NOT a feature request, it’s a question for the makers of this software because maybe there’s a workflow/procedure to accomplish what I need.
Best!