Target location hint

I have just been trying the new object hint box for plate solving.
As soon as I enter a character in the box SGPro crashes. I have tried deleting the Ra and Dec hints but it still crashes.

Here is a link to an image file that solves with Astromety, Elbrus and PlateSolve2 and SGP log file.
Using Win 7-64 bit, SGP 2.4.2.6

Nigel

Nigel,

I am not sure how to interpret the log you sent. It shows an actual attempt to plate solve. It seems like if you are seeing this crash behavior when entering hint info, you would never have gotten to the plate solve stage.

Hi Ken,
I have retried solving with the object hint and produced another log file. The previous log included solving the image too prove it was solvable.
This log is open image, right click, platesolve, as soon as I attempt to type anything in the Object box SGP crashes, with SequenceGenerator has stopped working, Close program

Nigel

Hi Ken,
Tried the Object link on my obs pc and it works very well.
Tried a clean install on my laptop and that made no difference, there must be a setting somewhere on the laptop that is wrong.
Never mind as long as it works in the Obs.

Nigel

I am also having two problems with PlateSolve2 when trying to solve images that contain no imbedded location hints. I open an image. Left Mouse click and select Platesolve with the solver being platesolve2.

The hints are 00:00:00 and 00° 00’ 00". If I don’t edit these values, I get a run time error 6, overflow message.

Then, if I attempt to try to type value into the hint box, the first character crashes SGP.

Using the latest 2.4.2.8 (also happened with 2.4.2.6). Windows 7.
Fred Klein

More on above. The image was a .jpg file.
The log file has the following lines.

[8/24/2015 3:17:26 PM] [DEBUG] [Cleaner Thread] Running cleanup…
[8/24/2015 3:17:26 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] UI layout found, loading layout at C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator\sg_ui_config.xml
[8/24/2015 3:17:26 PM] [DEBUG] [Cleaner Thread] Cleaning 5 files in directory C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator\Temp…
[8/24/2015 3:17:26 PM] [DEBUG] [Cleaner Thread] Cleaning multi camera registration file…
[8/24/2015 3:17:26 PM] [DEBUG] [Cleaner Thread] Cleaning finished…
[8/24/2015 3:18:25 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Tried to display solved stars, but list is null
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] SafeParseDouble: Input string was not in a correct format.
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] SafeParseDouble: Input string was not in a correct format.
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] FitsFileHeaderData: Angle - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] FitsFileHeaderData: Scale - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] FitsFileHeaderData: RA - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] FitsFileHeaderData: DEC - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] Error parsing binning value: empty or null
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] Error parsing binning value: empty or null
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: RA (HRS) - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: RA (RAD) - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: DEC (DEG) - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: DEC (RAD) - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: SCALE - 0
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: Width - 1024
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: Height - 627
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Param: Regions - 999
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] PlateSove2 Command Line:
[8/24/2015 3:18:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator\PlateSolve2.exe 0.0000000000,0.0000000000,0.00000000000000,0.00000000000000,999,C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator\Temp\ps2Solve_0.fit
[8/24/2015 3:18:38 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] Image Plate Solve: Failed to solve image…
[8/24/2015 3:18:38 PM] [DEBUG] [Image Plate Solve Thread] Solve failed, no blind failover option, quitting…

Fred Klein

Fred,

So I assume you are posting to try and figure out why you experience a crash and you are not posting because you expect the image to solve (with those hints anyhow).

I honestly don’t know why SGPro would crash… I am unsure if you are in to UI based programming, but text box controls (like the ones that hold DEC and RA) can have events tied to them. When somebody enters information into them, the event “fires” and some set of logic is executed. It is in this logic that errors usually occur. The problem with this, is that the text boxes for RA and DEC are “dumb”. They are not tied to any events and SGPro does nothing when you type into them. The OS certainly does things when you do, but they should not cause a crash.

Specifically, which hint box was it? RA, DEC?

Yes, Ken, I understand programming text box controls, so I am also puzzled. It is only the RA hint, the Dec hint doesn’t crash. I also tried it on my other machine running Windows 10 and this doesn’t happen.

I also tried the Target Settings Plate Solving Interface. SGP crashes when editing a character into the RA Hint box, but not when editing other text boxes in this form. I get the same crash when the solver is Astrometry.net. This on my Win7 machine.

The specifics. Click into the RA Hint box - OK. Backspace to erase a character - OK. Type any single digit into the box - Crash. The crash brings up the Windows dialog, Sequence Generator has stopped working, Debug or Close Program. There is nothing in the log file.

I just ran a new virus scan on the computer (AVG free version) although I have never had a virus problem on this machine that I am aware of.

I do have Visual Studio installed so I could click on Debug, if you think it would be helpful.

Fred Klein

I cannot reproduce this, but I made a couple changes… guesses. We shall see in the next beta.

Ken, I tried 2.4.2.9 and got the same behavior. I opened the crash in the Visual studio debugger. I cannot seem to capture the text as text, but here are screen captures of the first message in the debugger and the stack
http://fredkleinastro.com/images/RAHint1.jpg
http://fredkleinastro.com/images/RAHint2.jpg

Fred Klein

Ken, the crashes continue with 2.4.2.11 and 2.3.0. The details are a little different. Previously, the crash would occur the moment that I typed a character into the box. Now, when I type a character in the box (whether or not first erasing a character) nothing happens, but I clicking OK does not close the box. Then upon typing a second character the crash occurs.

The debug trace is different:
http://fredkleinastro.com/images/Hint3.jpg

Fred Klein

Just noticed, I also get the same crash on typing the second character in the Target Settings, Object: box, but not the other boxes on that form.
Fred Klein

I dont really know. Im completely out of ideas. This problem seems to be specific to your environment (maybe one other?). Hard to tell. I cannot reproduce it and we are not getting a rash of complaints describing this behavior.

As I mentioned above… this is a “dumb” text box. There are no SGPro event handlers tied to this control. As such, there is nothing we can inspect.

Is your region set to US English? What OS?

I am using Windows 7 in the US.

Isn’t there a function that reformats the hint for HHMMSS?

I have fixed problems like this by removing the control and then adding it back fresh.

But, if there are no other complainers, it’s fine to me if you just let it go. I can work around it.

Fred Klein

No, we reformat incoming text when OK is pressed and that might account for something (also not reproducible) but that does not explain this:

There is no handling here…

That is an odd fix, but it won’t hurt anything to try it.

I downloaded 2.4.3.6 and am pleased to report that the problem of crashing when typing into RA Hint text boxes (and other similar boxes) is solved!

I appreciate the great and responsive efforts of the authors in maintaining and extending this valuable program.

Fred Klein

Ken
2.4.3.6 has cured the problem on my laptop as well,
Thanks
Nigel