Testing Notification System with GNS

On semi-regular (or less) occasions I do something that causes Windows to tell me that SGP has stopped working. As best I can remember it has been early in the night’s process, before actually starting a sequence. I have never paused to try to figure out what happened - I’m always pushing to get everything up and running.

So recently I started the 45 day trial of the SGP Notification System add on. I proved that GNS would work (by GNS’s CMD method)on my Kindle tablet and purchased that app. I wanted do some further testing inside SGP so I tried to set up a sequence with simulators which is something I had never done before. Well I did something wrong, I don’t know what, and I got the Windows message that SGP had stopped working. I believe the message box for that has a “cancel” option button and I pressed that. That closed the SGP instance and then the GNS “barking owl” started up. The only way I could get GNS to stop barking was to shut the Kindle off. After that the GNS app wouldn’t work so I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling it and it started working again.

So I’m thinking that in practice this may not occur again because I’d probably not start GNS on the Kindle until the sequence had been up and running. And I don’t think I’ve had the “stopped working” after that point.

Here’s what this has to do with a feature request: Would it be possible for the Notification System to have a test button for GNS like the one for email notifications? Something that would cause GNS to bark?

Also if I have another “stopped working” would it do any good and/or would you be interested in seeing the log?

Mark

Certainly. Sometimes there is also information with the stopped working dialog too. To the best of your knowledge, a detailed description of how you produced the issue as well.

Hi Mark,

seems two different issues here, one SGP stopping working, and one the GNS forcing you to shut down the tablet etc.

Any problem specific to the GNS (like you having to shut down the tablet…) probably best addressed directly to me or in our user forum, in order to respect MainSequence’s - unless Ken or Jared say otherwise.

Best regards,

jaime

Ken

If it happens again, I’ll do my best to recall what my click happy self did:-)

Hi Jaime

I agree there are two issues. On the GNS side, I have since learned that there is a way to force an app to close without shutting down the tablet. If a similar situation occurs I’ll try that first.

Ok, Mark.

If it happens again, a screen capture (or even a photo taken with a mobile)
when the “Stop” button becomes unresponsive would be great.

Jaime

Jaime Alemany
Lunatico Astronomía, S.L.
www.lunatico.es
Tfno.: +34 91 859 55 67
Fax +34 91 790 35 89

“La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s) es
confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a ser leída sólo por la(s)
persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Si usted lee este mensaje y no es el
destinatario señalado, el empleado o el agente responsable de entregar el
mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido esta comunicación por error, le
informamos que está totalmente prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier
divulgación, distribución o reproducción de esta comunicación, y le rogamos
que nos lo notifique inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje original a la
dirección arriba mencionada. Gracias.

The information contained in this message as well as the attached file(s)
is confidential/privileged and is only intended for the person(s) to whom
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message
to the intended recipient, or you have received this communication in
error, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or duplication
is strictly prohibited, and can be illegal, and please notify us
immediately and return the original message to us at the address above.
Thank you.**”