TheSkyX Paramount Connection... Different in latest versions?

I have been using SGP for several years now but not much since last summer due to weather and health. I just installed the much newer (than what I had been using) SGP beta along with the latest PhD2 dev. I am using an older version (last year mid-year) of TheSkyX that did not have the synch issues discussed elsewhere.

I used to connect and home the mount in TheSkyX first and then in SGP (ASCOM 2 Paramount/TSX driver - same settings as last year) and that always worked fine. I now find that if I connect and home the mount in TSX first, I get an error when I try to connect in SGP. It does connect if I just connect in SGP w/o connecting in TSX (or even having TSX running, for that matter).

Is this normal or is there some setting I have missed?

BTW also W10 instead of W7 due to new PC build.

Unfortunately I can’t really help much other than to say that the scope connectivity has remained generally the same for a while. Maybe worth attempting both connections then sending us the log.

Thanks,
Jared

CCDMan - I’ll check mine tonight. I have the same setup. I normally link to the mount with my obsy application.

Have you eliminated the ‘run as administrator’ trap? I have all my apps set this way. If I do not, it plays up with connections.

Yes, I did set to “run as admin”. I will double check that to be sure. Both PCs that I have tried it on this spring are new W 10 installs so maybe I missed something.

Worked fine with me:
TSX version 10554 - SGP beta 20 (21 has a slave bug). Win 10 Professional, running on core i5 NUC
Connected to TSX, homed and then connected SGP to the mount and then my Obsy application. No problems.
All my applications are set to run as admin. No hubs (TSX ASCOM driver is already a hub)
One other possibility is that the ASCOM settings have changed (they can do that if they get exceptions thrown back at them by TSX API)

It now works fine for me as well. Not sure why it did not before. I ran thru the “run as admin” setup a second time for all programs so that must have been it but I could have sworn that they were all set up that way the first time since I did know that was needed. Go figure.

SGP has no requirement to be “run as admin” BUT all things need to be at the same run level that are accessing/sharing ASCOM devices or you’ll get into a bad place as COM Objects are not shared between run levels. Essentially what happens is that you attempt to create a new ASCOM connection when one already exists and that fails…ASCOM has protection against this but it only works if it can see the other device. And when running from “different” accounts it cannot see it.

Thanks,
Jared

Indeed. I think TSX has to be run as admin for scripting and such to work, as I recall, which pretty much means SGP does too, as you say.

I’ve never heard of a requirement to run TSX as admin more than once. The admin run allows the registration to be done and after that it’s OK to run normally.