Unable to Launch SGP

The program just won’t fire up, after years without trouble. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled, run an ASCOM repair, rebooted, without luck. SGP 3.0.1.169 on a Win10 platform. All my other programs seem to run fine. TheSkyX connects to the mount and slews it, PHD2 fires up, as does everything else but SGP.

I had a system crash the other day, so maybe related. Everything ran fine during the night and it was all peacefully parked the next morning, but I forgot to shut the programs down until the next day, and then found that everything had crashed so bad that I couldn’t even get Task Manager to run. I finally had to hold down the power button. I have noticed over the last few months that SGP was taking longer and longer to fire up, but I figured that was because my sequence has a lot of targets and events.

Any idea what to do next?

Kevin

Have you followed these steps:
http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/SGProWontStart.html

Also I’d recommend moving your last sequence and profiles to a temporary location.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks Jared, but still no luck. I ran both the recovery and reset functions, but nothing happened. SGP still won’t run.

Kevin

Did you try moving your profiles and sequence?

You can move the sg_ui_config.xml from here to someplace else…if this fixes it can you attach the sg_ui_config.xml file that was broken:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator

If that doesn’t work try deleting that entire directory (this contains your profiles as well in the Sequence Generator Pro sub directory…so you may want to back that up first.

Thanks,
Jared

Still no luck. I deleted the profiles and sequences after moving them to a different location. That didn’t help, so I deleted the entire directory AppData\Local\SequenceGenerator, but SGP still won’t run. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3.0.3.169, but still nothing.

Kevin

Is a log getting created with the run?

As a last resort you could try this: SGP will not start after trial and paying for full program - #20 by Ken - General - Main Sequence Software

Hi Jared and Joel,

No logs were getting created. I followed the “nuclear option” described by Ken in Joel’s link, and that got SGP running again, though it’s basically a brand new install. Any suggestions on the most efficient way to get back where I was a few days ago? I saved the profiles, sequences and the folders that I had deleted.

Kevin

Okay, I think I’ve got everything back. The backed up files seemed to have everything I needed. Thanks Jared and Joel for figuring out the solution.

Kevin