you’re amazing, thanks!
So, if I understand well, the Safety Monitor will only check the file by reading its content, which needs to be provided by the UPS or a script that monitors the UPS.
Currently I do so on logoff, but as soon as my batch file finishes, the computer goes down, which I can only delay by adding a long enough wait for the safety monitor to do its job. I can however only give a guestimate for the remaining battery lifespan, while the UPS has a good idea of it.
So, instead of the setting the unsafe mode I would like to monitor the UPS status as soon as it indicates that power is down, without setting the safety status to Unsafe as that will immediately cause End-of-Sequence options to be activated.
In an ideal world, the Generic Safety module would monitor the status of the UPS and only take appropriate action when battery lifespan is becoming too short. For this of course there are a few considerations:
- a power failure should not cause immediate shutdown;
- depending on the expected battery life the Safety Monitor should be allowed to overcome the power failure (I think my UPS has a 20 minutes lifetime, but need to test that).
- My camera is set to warm up in 10 minutes, so the Unsafe status should be set 10 minutes (plus perhaps 2 minutes margin) before the UPS will fail (would be great if that is directly read from the camera settings in SGP).
- In the meanwhile the sequence could continue, unless the remaining integration time of the current frame extends beyond the UPS’s remaining battery time.
- What to do when power is restored, while End-of-Sequence options have been started?
Shutdown of the pc will be done by the UPS, depending on the UPS or Windows settings.
Now I do realise that this is a lot more than I initially asked for, but hope you want to consider it and I do appreciate your comments on my thoughts! For now I will start to use your Generic Safety Setup with this additional wait at the end of my batch file (as mentioned above) and see how that works.
Thanks a bunch!
PS: just realised that when I use my .bat file to set the Unsafe status SGP is already killed… Will need WinNUT to do so… so more to think about…