Which Filter Will Be Used to Auto-Focus

If I have set the equipment profile to use the luminance filter to auto-focus, but create a target sequence that does not use the luminance filter, should SGP perform the auto-focus with the luminance filter? I had asked for a red image, and the autofocus was done with the red filter. Did I do something wrong?

You’ll need to make sure that you have your “Auto Focus With Filter” set correctly. You can do this in a couple of ways.

Globally:

Per filter:

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

Thanks very much for your reply. I did have the Equipment Profile Auto Focus Options set to Luminance and the likewise the Control Panel Auto Focus Options were set to Luminance.

However, the Filter Setup fields were: Luminance set to Default; Red set to Red; Green set to Green; Blue set to Blue.

It appears I may have misunderstood the meaning of the “Focus with Filter” settings. Do these override the Control Panel and Equipment Profile? I don’t normally perform an auto focus when taking just a Red exposure, so I never noticed this before. Should I set all of the Focus with Filter fields to Luminance? I still want the focus offsets to apply when taking images through the filters. Is there a difference between “Default” and Luminance?

Thank you,

Manning

The order of “focus filter” selection is as follows:

A “set” filter in the Filter Settings Dialog will always be used for that filter. So if you have “Red” set for the Red filter it will use the Red filter. If you have “Default” set it will use whatever you have set in the auto focus dialog. If you want to use Lum for everything the easiest way is to set the auto focus filter to “Lum” in the Auto Focus Settings dialog and in the Filter Settings dialog set all of them to “Default”.

Most folks will just focus with the actual filter for wideband images (LRGB) and use Lum for their narrowband filters. This way you don’t have to worry about setting up filter offsets for your LRGB filters. And since the exposures for RGB aren’t excessively long you don’t get that much benefit from using a Lum filter to focus them.

Thanks,
Jared