Which mount should I get - needs to work with SGP!

If you could share the PHD2 guiding log, I can take a look. I PM’d you. It could be stiction. Some new Mach1 users had a note in with the mount telling them to check the DEC gears.

a model created with APPM will improve guiding insofar as it will improve tracking. the idea is that APCC will try to undo all the systematic errors, including bad PA, by essentially having a custom RA and DEC rate all over the sky.

i’m afraid you’ve made a mistake with the PEC curve. i don’t think releasing the worm changes the PEC timing because what the PEM curve is undoing is flaws in the worm gear, not the worm wheel. if you had moved the worm gears in the gearbox by hand, then yes, you’d have to redo the PEM, but lifting it up and putting it back down on a different part of the worm wheel should not create the need for a new PEC curve.

the reason that i say this was a mistake is that measuring the PE by running just one worm gear cycle is prone to error. you need to use your copy of PEMPro (which i think is included with new mounts) to capture 5-6 cycles of the worm gear and let PEMPro do its thing to average the curves together and remove bogus harmonics. you need to be sure to run the PEMPro wizard though. you might need the PEMPro 3 beta to be able to use SGP as the camera (if you need to - it’s possible your guide camera will work directly with PEMPro 2)

Rolando said that as well. (PEC won’t change) that’s great. So - when I clicked RECORD for a new PEC recording… did that eliminate it? My old EQMOD mount would have changed to the new recorded error recording?

Pempro - I don’t know if I got it with the mount. ??? I don’t think so. Buzz asked to see my phd2 log - I’ll try and attach it for those that understand it.

I have a PHD2 VIEWER that will load and show me the data… I’m not sure what I’m seeing though.
This should include 3 sub frames of 16 minutes and 8 minutes or so unguided (during guide assistant it turns guiding off). It then recommends the amount of backlash comp etc.

PHD2_GuideLog_2017-10-29_212348.txt (146.2 KB)

yeah, when you clicked record (i assume you are talking about a button in the driver or in APCC) it overwrote the stored curve (which was probably produced with pempro) with a curve made by watching a single cycle of the worm. i assume you were guiding during this time; if not, the curve is not a curve but just a flat line.

i thought pempro came with the mount, maybe that was in the past, i dunno.

rob

Is the original pec curve from the shop - stored somewhere?

unfortunately no (to my knowledge). if you had pempro you can read the curve out of the mount and save it before trying to make a new one…

rob

I’ll probably eventually buy pempro. But would be nice if I know I’d be able to learn to use it properly.

it has a pretty good setup wizard. most important thing is to set the mount type properly so that it knows the worm period.

rob