Why does plate solve fail on previous images

Maybe this has been covered but for some reason when I am actually imaging Plate Solve 2 works just fine. If I later reload the same image(s) and ask it to plate solve, it fails despite the actual RA and Dec being there for a hint.

Note the reason I am doing this is to verify the position angle, not the location.

FYI, Astronomy.net does work and Pinpoint does not in the same situation.

When you load the image in SGP and ask it to plate solve, is the scale correct? Try this, open the SEQUENCE that the image was taken with, then open the image, then try to plate solve. I’m wondering if plate solving uses the image scale that is found in the camera tab of the control panel, instead of the image scale that is in the box when you right click on the image and ask for the plate solve.

1 Like

Yup. Scale is correct and was auto inserted in the dialog when I asked for a solve. I will try using the profile when I fire up the system again but I kinda recall trying that with the same results.

Dunno why a solve would ignore the scale in the dialog that is there for that purpose.

OK, just tried it after loading the profile it was created with - still fails.

CCDMan,
I have had the same experience and raised it quite a while ago. Never any resolution. There is information ostensibly available to SGP which it, for inexplicable reasons, declines to use. The information can even be in the FITS header. No matter. It seems to not look there. I can only speculate that there is information which in a certain state, e.g. taking the image, SGP will reference and which in other states, e.g. reopening an image, it does not use. This is opaque to the user although I am sure the developers know (or could determine) where SGP is getting the information to plate solve. In my opinion, if one part of SGP knows and is recording the information, e. g. in a FITS header, then other parts of SGP that need the same information could look in a place where that information is stored and not in a dynamic variable that evaporates when the creating operation is not being performed. It may seem convenient to use an active storage location, but as you have found that may lead to a fragile operation. Of course, since I don’t know the inner workings of the code, I am speculating about what is really happening, but these are what the symptoms look like to me. In other words, I am saying it is more likely a design feature than a bug per se. As such, it may be less likely to get “fixed”. I will be interested to see what responses you get.

SGP looks in the FITs headers for the hints when solving images. If you can attach the FITs image here we can take a look.

Thanks,
Jared

Sample Image

Hm, I’m not sure why PlateSolve2 doesn’t like this image. PinPoint and Astrometry solve it just fine. We send the same hint data to all 3. I’ll have to dig in a little more and see what’s happening here.

Thanks,
Jared