Would Like to run multiple SGPro Instances

Hi All,
I’m looking for help to see if what I want to do is possible. I have two Celestron mounts. Each are completely configured with Scope, Focuser, Camera and OAG with Camera. But, I only have one laptop. I know I can run two instances of PHD2 by using –I 2 command. I can run two instances of SGPro. Is there a way to select which PHD2 instance I want to associate with each SGPro? I think the cameras will not be an issue since they are different cameras. My other issue might be with the focusers. They are both nSTEP systems from Rigel Systems. I need to check to see if it is possible to run two instances of their usb-nSTEP driver. But again if so, will there be a way to associate each focuser with each SGPro?

Anyway If I can get everything running on one laptop that will save me from needing to purchase a new laptop. If not I’ll be buying another laptop.

Thanks in advance for you input.
Mark

One problem will be the Celestron driver, you can only have one of these running at a time so you can only control only one scope.

You may also run out of drivers for other things - cameras, filter wheels, focusers etc. Some of these may not allow enough instances to be able to run enough multiple devices.

I’d get a second PC and run the two mounts independently. Maybe one of the tiny PCs or a tablet.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response, I thought about the Celestron drivers as well but forgot to include that in my question. Anyway, I figured it was a long shot but thought it was worth asking the question anyway. I guess another laptop is in the future. the good thing, our weather will not clear enough for a few more months before I can take my field equipment out so that will give me time to save up a few dollars for the new laptop.

As always, thanks for your help and all you do to help make this hobby more enjoyable.

BTW - Ken, Jared I know you heard this many times over but SGPro is a fantastic piece or software!

Regards,
Mark

This is likely going to be the worst suggestion that I’ve ever made :wink: but you may be able to get around the “single driver” issue by running one instance of all the applications as Administrator. Since this will use a different user area this may get around the problem. However this may not work at all.

This is likely a horrible idea and will probably cause more headache than anything…

Thanks,
Jared

@Jared - That is an interesting idea. Maybe the worst idea ever, :grinning: but hey I’ll give it a try. I have both mounts almost completely setup in my basement and it’s going to be awhile before I can take the equipment out in the field so I’ll play around seeing if I can get things running to as you suggest.

I’ll let you know if this works or not.

Regards,
Mark

I’ll leave you to support that one Jared. :slight_smile:

Tried running things as Jared suggested but no go. As Chris pointed out only one Celestron Driver can run at a time. Anyway it was worth a try. Looks like I’ll need to get another Laptop this spring/summer so I can run both rigs. Thanks guys for the feedback it was a fun exercise…

Mark