ZWO ASI ASCOM camera selection

I realize this may be a ZWO ASCOM driver, or ASCOM issues vs. SGP, but I’m having the following issue both in SGP and PHD2.

I have three ZWO ASI cameras, two in use at any one time, ASI174mm-cool, ASI1600mm-cool, ASI1600mc-cool.

One used for imaging in SGP and one used for guiding in PHD2.

Works fine but if something goes wrong and equipment needs to reconnect both SGP and PHD2 can end up with the wrong camera, either guiding and imaging reversed or both programs trying to use the same camera.

Also when starting up I need to verify that the correct camera is selected in each program.

While I’m at it. ASI cameras (at least the asi1600) seem to always default to 8bit, when I want 16bit.

Suggestions?

in another forum, a user said he uses the native ZWO dirver, with SGP, and it pops up a dialog to select which camera when multiple cameras are connected.

I don’t see that when I try it.3.0.2.94. current zwo dirver.

Any ideas?

If you have 2 ZWO cameras connected SGP should prompt you as to which one to connect (at least once). SGP also saves the ZWO camera that you last connected to (as it’s likely an imaging camera and probably not your guider). If you want to reset this saved camera you can do so from the ZWO settings menu:

Jared

OK that works.

So we have “default” gain and offset there, and per event gain and offset (optional) in the event settings.

I guess the only functionality left in the ASCOM driver is USB throttling (which I haven’t needed). Do we know what the USB throttling is/isn’t in the native driver?

Thanks

I don’t believe we have access to it in the native driver. I’ll double check. If we do I won’t expose it as this is the #1 way to get the ZWO camera into a bad spot. We’d just pick something sane and leave it there. Also in my testing the USB Limit with the ASCOM driver makes very little difference for stills, maybe video is different?

Thanks,
Jared

OK no worries on the USB.

It seems like it is asking me to pick a camera every time I connect.

I’m a new user here and I’m just wondering about the ascom selections. I too have several zwo cameras and the ascom selections just say ascom (1) ascom (2). Are you saying there is a way to designate which one is assigned to each of my zwo cameras or do I always use the same one and select to the camera with the driver setup? Thanks for the help

I believe the specific ASCOM camera saves your selected camera. So if you use ASI (1) and connect say a 1600 then the next time you use that driver it should default to the 1600.

Thanks,
Jared

It’s also worth connecting to the same USB port, including the same hub, active extension etc. Some USB implementations consider the same device plugged in differently to be a diferent device. Don’t know if this applies here but worth eliminating all variables.

I wanted to reactivate this thread since I am having a similar problem.

Using ASi1600 for imaging camera in SGP. This seems to work fine. In testing PHD2 I start up SGP connect my ASI1600 camera. Then startup PHD2. I select ASI 2 . When I do I get an error message saying the SGP is unable to download the subs to the computer, it just hangs.
Once I reboot my computer and start again without PHD2 everything is fine… Maybe I am connecting the guide scope to the ASI1600 camera (imaging camera) instead of the guide scope? It is hard to tell which is ASI1 and ASI2. Also I am using a power hub.

Thanks for any input…

Richard W

Hallo
i’m also trying a second ASI camera (071MC) together with my guiding camera (ASO290mini) and it’s not working!!!
What does all these threads concernering this topic mean:
forget about SGP or forget about a second ZWO-camera??
Is there a clear workflow that is stable and logicaly working or not!!??
Unfortuantely i don’t understand everything, because english is not my mother-language.

would be nice to get a clear statement

Have a look at this thread: ZWO Cameras fighting each other - Equipment Compatibility - Main Sequence Software