Two Installations - Same Computer

Is it possible to have two totally independant installations of SGP on the same Computer?

I know you can setup different profiles for all the various equipment and their settings. I run two very different rigs and it would be quite useful if the two did not mix.

I know i could just register one of my other laptops to achieve the aim, but would be useful on my main imaging laptop.

Rgds
Aidan

Aidan, I’m not sure I totally follow what you are asking. You can run two
instances of SGP on the same computer, and they can control two different
setups. The only problem would be if there is two pieces of equipment that
are exactly the same and the driver only allows for one to be used at a
time. But again, I’m not sure what you’re asking for.

Sounds like it will do what i am asking… I dont want to run them simultaniously. I have quite a lot of different profiles in the list. All i really want to do is, is have each rig in its own instance and then load of the copy of SGP depending on which setup i am using that night.

e.g. If i fire up one instance, it will have all the profiles etc for my 80mm widefield rig. And the other would be for my larger 120mm scope.

A bit overkill i have to admit… but it would suit the way i like to do things!

Does that make sense? If so, how is it best to install a 2nd instance?

Rgds
Aidan

Simple. Just create a sequence for each scope. When you start SGP, load the sequence for the scope you want to use. The 2 sequences each use a profile that is customized for that scope. If you have multiple profiles for each scope, I would suggest you include an identifier in the name for the scope in each profile, and in each sequence. Both sets will appear in the profile and sequence lists, but it will be easy to pick the appropriate one to use.

I’m not sure how to do what you’re asking. When I say run a second
"instance" what I mean is you actually run a 2nd copy of the same
installation of SGP. If I understand you correctly, you basically want to
have two different save locations for different equipment profiles so you
don’t have a big long list of profiles. There’s no way to do that that I
am aware of.

1 Like

jmacon is certainly correct, but it would also mean having the same number of saved sequences as profiles, which kind of defeats the purpose of what Aidan is asking for.

Also, as jmacon describes, I use the same sequence over and over for a while, adding and deleting targets over time. However, I have found that the saved sequences tend to get bogged down after a while and take a long time to load. So you’ll need to recreate your sequences every once in a while and start fresh.

Actually, you probably only need 2 profiles, one for each scope. A profile contains all the specific parameters required for a specific combination of scope/camera/mount/focuser/guider/rotator. Multiple sequences would then serve to provide different combinations of targets, which might be correlated with a specific profile. Therefore many sequences would only need to use 2 profiles, unless you have more than 2 equipment combinations.

I have a number of equippment profiles - Although i have 2 scopes, i have different cameras and optical trains for changes in focal length etc - So, for one scope alone i have 4-5 different profiles with the relevant settings etc.

The idea was to have a copy of SGP for one scope and a copy for the 2nd - so which ever copy of SGP i opened at that particular time, it would only show profiles for that scope etc.

Joel makes it a bit more clear by using the term 2nd copy. Which, buy the sounds of it is not possible and hence answers my question.

Many thanks
Aidan