Win10 Dark Theme for SGP

This is how I would like to see it.

I noticed YouTube has a Dark Theme scene now. I believe all it is doing is changing black to white and white to black.
Windows Explorer, has the black background as well replacing the original white. Works well.

Kor - many thanks for doing the donkey-work on this. It is an easy matter to tweak the settings. PHD2 seems mostly unaffected by themes.

No problem! And thanks, Ken, for changing the module title bar.

• Shane

Hi Shane,
Thanks so much for the theme setup. I love it!!! Just set it up on my PrimaLuce Lab Eagle 3S running Win10 Enterprise. It took a little bit to find the theme files as they have the AppData folder hidden. Once I unhid it it was a breeze to get working.

Great Job and Thanks Again

Bob

Bob, I’m glad it works for you! - Shane

I tweaked Kor’s theme to use Amber for text and other object colors to make SGP and other applications readable on a crappy Lenovo Thinkpad 11e LCD display when in the field. Amber is supposed to impact night vision as much as red. I will field test next week. For Windows 10.

Mark W.
MyDarkTheme092419.theme.txt (7.3 KB)

Thanks Mark,

The amber is more easily readable.

Bob

@kor

SGPro 3.1 uses new message boxes (the windows that either inform you of some state change or ask you yes / no questions). If there is desire to theme these… the message box background is “ControlDark” and the text is “WindowText”.

Thanks Ken, I’ll install the latest tonight and see what it looks like!

• Shane

You won’t see any change unless the version is > 3.1.0.291

Cool! One less chore I have to do tonight! Headed out to the observatory …

Any interest on your part to add some themes to SGP primarily so we can just toggle whichever we like? Not sure I want my entire windows machine to change to make SGP change colors.

1 Like

Here is the latest version of the SGP_Dark_Mode theme, updated to support some of the objects (particularly the Docking Module title bars) that Ken set to standard colors.
SGP_Dark_Mode.theme.txt (6.9 KB)

You can copy the files to your C:\users<user-name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes directory, remove the “.txt” extension and then double click to activate.

The goal of this theme is to be Star Party Friendly rather than just Star Party Legal. I have tried to reduce the “light puddle” generated by all of the light coming from the screen (red or not) by reducing the emissions due to colored backgrounds.

I think it’s way cool that others have both modified this theme to suit their needs and made up their own themes. I really like Mark W.'s amber based version and use it in my observatory where I don’t have to worry about being as light sensitive, since it’s only me. (Well, sometimes my wife hollers at me to close the door if my screen is too bright since that door faces the deck with the other pier.)

Anyway, I hope this is an improvement. Some elements are difficult since they are compromises since the colors are used for multiple things in SGP. I’d really like to dim down the Docking Module title background, but that color is also the Docking Module inactive tab text, which has to be bright enough to read…

• Shane

Ken, any chance you can theme-ify the white bar that is the background for all of the buttons when an image is open?

Thanks - Shane

That will also be ControlDarkDark

Thanks Ken!

Well couldn’t follow the route through to find the fill so just applied various settings within the Themes, backgrounds and high contrast until I obtained the resulting shades of grey for text, background, boxes, frames etc.
Many thanks reading through your ‘method’ at least set me off in the right direction :grinning:

thanks Shane - only just realised that this thread had continued.

reminds me of the days I used an orange phosphor CRT to program transputers…

Thanks Buzz!

The Amber theme is by Mark W., not me. I like it and use it sometimes when light pollution is not an issue. It’s really cool that several others have taken off with this and made it work for their tastes!

BTW, all of my xterm windows are still green text on black background. Guess I just got used to it a long time ago and still like it. I actually find light text on dark background easier to read than dark text on light background …

• Shane

Snap !!

I find the same, especially with my aging eyes & the years spent in TV…