Can’t Autofocus on a Globular Cluster

Hi Gav,
Thanks for the prompt reply; indeed not good news. I switched to SGP to be able to automate my obs, but if I have to manually run the focus routine then that substantially defeats the intent. Globs are something that I wanted to focus on with the C14, so to say the least it’s very disappointing.
I’ll keep trying and maybe, not refocus between filters once I’ve got good focus as they seem pretty parfocal, but if I arrive at a better solution then I’ll certainly share it here.
Cheers, Geof

Globs can be difficult. You can play with the rejection settings and generally find something that works. But for the most part you may have to focus manually, or slew off target with the Focus Targets to get good focus and slew back. Sadly not ideal.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,
Thanks for chiming in and confirming that the problem is real, not just my and others poor execution of the SGP tools. Given that it is an acknowledged problem are there any thoughts/plans to provide an option for the user to select a star or subframe of stars within the target FOV that excludes the glob core, so that autofucus could be run without moving off target?
Many thanks,

Geof

No, single, user selected stars is not really something we’re interested in. That provides other issues for automation. I’d prefer to fix the problem with globulars, but just don’t have a timeframe for it.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,
Thanks for letting us know and good luck with identifying a solution.
Regards, Geof

1 Like

Indeed, thank you for your input Jared and I urge you to put this on your To Do list please! I do like a glob, but the pain of SGP losing its automation is hard to bear!!
Thanks,
Gavin.

1 Like

But a user definable subframe, where we can exclude say the outer 10% and the central say 30% has been asked for many times over a long period of time.

This would fix the problem with difficult objects and allow focus to be set at its sharpest in the most appropriate area of the frame. This is pretty crucial for some Tak users to get the best focus across a whole frame.

Cheers
Ian

Isn’t the selection of the guide star all done by PHD. The question should be directed to them.

Guide stars are not the issue here - this whole thread is about autofocus and problems encountered when trying to autofocus on a Globular Cluster.

hello i had the same her with an 12" PDS from Sw on M13…i set the min pixelsize in Autofocus from 3 to 4 that solved the framing by M13 dirctly…

EDIT:
see your size is already 4…set it lower to 3 or 2…so that the smaler stars are reconized…

1 Like