Center target every X exposures automatically

I’m also keen to see a periodic recentring option included in SGP, having suffered a lot of hours of wasted subs due to PhD walking the target off-centre when detecting intermittent clouds as the guide star. Here are my thoughts:

I would like to propose that the required plate solve could optionally use the most recently-download integrated image. This would save the time of having to do the “change to the Lum filter, take a short plate solve image, solve, change back to previous filter” routine. Integrated images are usually of much longer duration, and thus should provide a high SNR source for the plate solver, resulting in less chance of plate solve failures. If the plate solver was ASTAP then the time taken for confirming centring would only be a few seconds of additional time between integrated images, considering these images are almost always well-centred, so even checking every downloaded frame would not cost too much imaging time over the duration of a full night.

In terms of parameters, a centring tolerance in pixels would be required, but that parameter could perhaps be the same as the parameter currently used by SGP’s centring function. Another parameter could be a search radius (-r option in ASTAP I think). Because we only need to confirm whether the target centring is still within tolerance or not (a few 10’s of pixels usually), the search radius can be very small, and a small search radius will make the plate solve lightning fast too, so this parameter would be most likely independent of the equivalent in the Plate solving tab.

In terms of operation, if centring is confirmed to be within tolerance, the sequence simply continues. If plate solve succeeds but the centring is out of tolerance, immediately run a re-centring action and continue the sequence. If the plate solve fails … I’m not sure what to do here; it would depend on the failure mode:

(1) image centre is too far off target (outside the search radius of the plate solver);
(2) clouds prevented plate solve;
(3) mount is on-target, no clouds, but plate solve simply failed on that image (long focal length + narrowband image = not enough stars).

If (1), we would want the re-centring to occur immediately, but if (2) we would not want immediate re-centring; centring should be retried after a period of time has passed (e.g., retry every M minutes). If (3), just continue imaging. Unfortunately the cause of a plate solve failure cannot be determined. All of these three failure modes are rare events anyway, so perhaps an OK compromise would be to simply pass the image over to the blind solver. If it succeeds then re-centre (if necessary) and continue the sequence. If it fails, clouds are most likely the cause, so retry every Y minutes via the current centring function.

As mentioned above, there are still circumstances where an integrated image does not provide enough usable stars for plate solving (e.g., 6 minutes subs of Abell 1 @ 2.8m FL using a 3nm narrowband filter and ASI1600). For this reason, the option to recentre using the default recentring routine with a Lum filter should also be provided.

+1 for this feature.
It should be very helpful:
JM

1 Like

Hi!

I also would be very happy to see this feature.
The earlier… the better… :slight_smile:

All the best
Jan

1 Like

Some of this appears to be a request to solve what appears to be a problem with PHD2. If clouds come through, PHD2 can hunt around trying to find something to lock onto and this can cause huge drift - I cant’ help but feel that the solution lies within PHD2 (or whatever guiding system is being used), for instance PHD2 stopping guiding and just letting the mount do its stuff until the clouds have cleared. SGPro does its bit in that if guiding stops, SGPro will go into a recovery which will include recentring. What could be good would be to do a plate solve on every frame and, that way, SGPro can look at how far the frame has drifted from the target and recentre if it has wandered beyond a given limit. That would seem to solve the issues of long-term drift and drift caused by PHD2, and by setting a limit of, e.g., 5 arc-mins, you could be sure that your target always stays well within your, e.g., 1 degree field of view and SGPro would only recentre as and when necessary.
Along those lines, it might also be sensible to look at the FWHM measurement on each frame and use that as a metric to drive re-focusing - if the FWHM is rock steady all night, why bother refocussing every 20 frames or every hour or whatever?

Not really anything to do with PHD2. Some of us don’t guide as our mounts track well but some drift creeps in over time. This would be a very helpful feature.

Yes, I acknowledged that and I was merely suggesting “recentre if drift>x arcsec” as an alternative to “recentre every x frames”.

I see, that’s a great suggestion and perhaps a user selectable option!

Cheers,

Gord

This is what I suggest a few posts up.

Along those lines, it might also be sensible to look at the FWHM measurement on each frame and use that as a metric to drive re-focusing - if the FWHM is rock steady all night, why bother refocussing every 20 frames or every hour or whatever?

Agreed. I think refocus on FWHM drift is discussed in another thread.

It is certainly relevant to those who use PhD2 and suffer from drift due to false positive star detection when clouds pass through. The rate of false positive detection can be so high that SGP recovery mode is not triggered, leading to hours of off-centred subs.

I assume a solution will be incorporated into SGP4 at some time, but I doubt it will make it into SGP3, so a work-around would be required for SGP3 users. To that end I’ve written an app that monitors the fits file directory, plate solves each new sub, and then alerts the user if a sub is off-centre. This works well, however I can’t find a way to automatically trigger SGP’s recovery mode, so the app is not much use after I go to sleep. Even automatically pausing or stopping PhD does not trigger recovery mode for some reason (I assume by design).

Oops, sorry, you did. I’d skimmed over the parts of the thread and missed it. Great minds think alike and all that… :grinning:. I think you’re right about the time it would take in that ASTAP would take seconds. Now if SGP were to use multi-threading (maybe it does, I don’t know), plate solving could be spun off as a thread while other tasks are running like dithering or refocusing or whatever so that no time is wasted if centring is OK.

1 Like

You are, of course, right. This is definitely relevant.

This would be very useful feature in this days of precise mounts. I can take images up to 1-2 min. exposures without pointing (use direct mount guider), but after few hours it would be fine to re-center the target (polar alignment, …). Now I need to create copy of that target to re-center it, but it has different name, the subs are not correctly placed in the filesystem, … :grimacing:

This has been a reasonably popular request. We will pull it in during this SGPro 4.4 “maintenance cycle”