Sgp won't connect to phd2

Hi Peter,

I used this one for a while and did not have any problems with it

but internally it is actually two hubs chained together so when I had it connected to the Icron REX I could only use 5 of the 10 ports as the remaining ports exceeded the max number of USB hubs you can have in series.

I switched to this one which I have been very happy with:

One nice thing is that it takes 12VDC input. For the old one I had to use a 12V to 5V converter which I was happy to toss out when I switched to the new one.

Hope that helps,
Andy

I have Digi Hub Port 7C powered USB hub:

http://www.digi.com/products/model?mid=3409

It’s a little pricey but works extremely well. It requires power supply using any voltage from 5.5VDC to 30VDC. I connect my 12V marine deep cycle battery to this hub. Make sure to get the “non-captive” one. “Non-captive” means it uses Type B USB connector instead of “captive” which is six feet USB cable permanently connected to the USB hub. Personally I prefer “non-captive”. Amazon.com also sells it. The part number is 301-1010-74.

I connect 35 feet active USB extension cable in between laptop and this USB hub. From USB hub connects to 4 of my astro-devices.

Peter

Thanks all
I will give the Startech a shot and keep my fingers crossed
I am sure their extender is the same as the Icron?

I’m not sure what you are asking there. Could you clarify?

I use the Icron Ranger 2212 USB extender with the startech 7-port 12V powered hub at the mount. Actually I got the hub from here but I think it is the same device as the startech.

Andy

Andy,
More of a comment.
I have an Icron extender, a friend bought a Startech extender.
They seem to be identical units with different branding.?
So one could assume that the quality of construction in the hub would be about the same.

I have conducted no electrical measurement though, do not have the equipment for that :smile:

Thanks again

Peter

Hi Peter…

I use one of these StarTech USB/Cat 5 extender - giving me a powered 4 port hub at the scope end. Works fine.

This is what I use too at the moment, it is powered by a 12V- 5 V DC module at the USB port end. 4 USB ports are insufficient for me though - so I have an industrial StarTech 4 Port USB2 to expand, powered with 12V. The Lodestar runs from the Paramount MX’s own powered hub, connected to the StarTech. When I go remote with the NUC, I shall remove the StarTech extender and feed USB directly into a 7-way Industrial Startech USB2 hub and onto the Paramount, removing a hub in the chain.

That is pretty much what I am using but mine is an Icron, I believe they are the same unit just different branding.
I have pretty much narrowed my problem down to my powered hub.
After taking the Icron out of the system I was able to be successful using just a short USB from the hub to the laptop, but only when using the 110V adapter. If I switched to my 12v deep cycle (13.4V) I would lose the lodestar, so it seems to be very power sensitive.
I have the Startech 7 port hub on order, in fact it shipped today. I am really hoping this solves my problem with my extender.

Peter

For what it is worth, I used to use two extenders that were USB 1.0. One was an Icron, the other a Gefen. They looked the same except for the paint job. One day I mistakenly connected the LEX from one to the REX from the other. It still worked fine.

Now I have both a Startech USB 2.0 and an Icron USB 2.0 and they too look identical except for the color of the case. I have not tried one with the other but would be surprised if they were not the same. Plus the Startech was cheaper.

Yes I am convinced they are the same mfg.

I got my Icron on Ebay for 60.00, so it was cheaper than the Startech.:slight_smile:

My current hub is USB 3 , supposed to be backwards compat, but I am not sure about this thing.

Peter

Peter - my macbook pro (and the NUC) is USB3 and it works with the USB2 Startech without issue

Hi Peter,

I used this one for a while and did not have any problems with it

but internally it is actually two hubs daisy-chained together so when I had
it connected to the Icron REX I could only use 5 of the 10 ports as the
remaining ports exceeded the max number of ports you can have in series.

I switched to this one which I have been very happy with:

One nice thing about that one is it takes 12VDC input. For the old one I
had to use a 12V to 5V converter which I was happy to toss out when I
switched to the new one.

Hope that helps,
Andy

My problem continues.
As usual things work very well straight USB with no Cat5.

I have, tried a friends Startech 2004 same issue.
I tried his Lodestar camera, no joy.
A multitude of different cables…
I did replace my powered hub with the Startech 7 port industrial (nice hub) same issues.

Started experimenting as the weather is so poor lately>

Connect PHD2 and start capturing good for 40 minutes.
Open SGP, do not connect anything, good for another 10 minutes.
Connect the QSI/Filter combo, good for another 10 minutes.
Connect the Moonlite DRO focuser>> camera (Lodestar) locks up in less than 60 seconds.

This will happen on my Laptop Win 8.1 64 bit, and my Desktop Win 7 32 bit.
Icron did send me a firmware upgrade for my extender , so I will try that next.
It is previously owned and the SN was not available, so firmware status is not available.
I am not optimistic, as the Startech extender exhibited the same problem, and it is almost new.

I do of course suspect the Moonlite driver, but I am not sure I have a lot of options there.
I have uninstalled and reloaded it more than once.

I may be stuck outside for a while from the looks of it.

Peter

@Peter

I’m running very similar hardware, Startech USB over Cat 5, Startech 4-way industrial hub, Lodestar, QSI 683 etc.

I was using the SX driver 1.2.0.1 - but for some insane reason, felt compelled to upgrade last night to 1.3.2.1 on Win 7 -64 bit. I had very similar issues to you with SGP apparently not working with PHD2. Actually, PHD2 couldn’t even cycle properly. I reverted to 1.2.0.1 and everything worked perfectly (as it had done since SGP started on 2.4 beta’s back last year.)

1.2.0.1 is still downloadable off the SXCCD website

Buzz,
I think that was it, just went 15 minutes of capturing with the Lodestar, everything connected up and running.
No lockups. My previous times were anywhere from 30 secs to 5 min and 12 sec., Average 2 min 40 secs.

Whew, as soon as the clouds move on out I will do an extended test while imaging.
I am just a bit thrilled with this :smile:
Thanks a million, really.

Peter