SGPro+AAG Cloudwatcher (Semi OT)

Ron, that is probably because your dome ASCOM driver is not a hub. The one I created for myself is the same. There is a simple workaround, I bought the Optec ASCOM server and it allows multiple connections to all ASCOM devices. My observatory control application and SGP can both communicate and control my roof. It is $25.

Hundreds of hours of unattended operation during the night, with SGP shutting up shop at dawn or with unsafe conditions prove it does just that. Heck, I could not leave MDL to its own devices for an hour before it messed up.

All we are talking about here is the a strategy to resume imaging after a safety shutdown when the good conditions return and where that functionality is best placed. If it was trivial and not full of logic traps, do you think that K&J would hesitate to integrate it into SGP?

@joelshort
I think the desire is clear and the implentation is not. I suggest this thread should lock out before this becomes personal.

Iā€™m not talking about a RESTART. That would be nice, but that is a kettle of fish for sure. Iā€™m after something much more simple. TO CLOSE the dome if unsafe. It needs to do that BEFORE it can even start to consider resuming. I hear it will do it if the sequence is running. But 50% of the time one isnā€™t running. Iā€™d simply like them to change it from anytime SGP is running - (doing a sequence or not).

A local friend and club member owns Optec near me. I installed the server and so far - itā€™s not working.
But I have SGP connected to the optec server (that works). The other software isnā€™t really software that opens a com port. Iā€™m trying to run scripts that write directly to the com port - without a really opening them. Maybe the script can be more formal about port handling and not just a echo > port.

Buzzā€¦ testing Optec server - but no luck so far.

I set driver selection in the serverā€¦

server 1 ā€œdomeā€ setup (com3)ā€¦ ASCOM.PDM.Dome

In SGP I select obsy - driver I use to select ASCOM.PDM.Dome - but now selecing Optec ASCOM Server

Dome is controlled in SGP as usual.

So I should be able to write to the com port? I canā€™t. So I tried power shell.

I wroteā€¦

System.IO.Ports.SerialPort]::getportnames()

response: com3

$port= new-Object System.IO.Ports.SerialPort COM3,9600,None,8,one
$port.open()

write $port (open FALSE) if SGP is connected to driver. OR if I disconnect SGP driver then (open True)

$port.WriteLine(ā€œO#ā€)
$port.Close()

I should I be able to open com3 with the server running?

Only one application can be attached to a COM port at any given time. Thatā€™s a limitation of com ports. You can use something like POTH to act as a hub and talk to POTH through multiple applications but still only one thing (POTH) would he connected to the dome ASCOM driver.

Why is it open then? Youā€™ve manually opened it and are just leaving it open prior to running a sequence? I guess I donā€™t really understand the workflow youā€™re using here.

Thanks,
Jared

My ASCOM dome driver uses a COM port to communicate to my roof controller. In my case, the observatory controller also uses some non-standard commands and the ASCOM POTH hub does not pass them through. The Optec server/hub is completely transparent and gives me the option of creating hubs for all devices as well as dual devices of the same type.

In the Optec configuration panel I select my ASCOM Dome driver and set up its COM port number. I then select the Optec ASCOM driver for the Dome in the various applications (observatory control and SGP) The Optec ASCOM server acts as a hub. Please donā€™t get confused with the two tabs - this software also has the ability to overcome an ASCOM limitation and connect to two like devices with the same PID. You would use this if you had two similar cameras, focusers etc.

Similarly if you were using POTH, you first configure POTH to connect to your dome ASCOM driver and then connect everything to POTH.

Hereā€™s an interesting article about prioritising feature requests:

Regarding the SGP not shutting down on Unsafe event when not running a sequence: I would love to see this changed too. In my workflow I start a project by framing up and shooting test subs outside of a sequence. That can be hours of imaging without the safety system in place, meaning that I am monitoring things far more closely from my sofa! So, for SGP to shut down on an Unsafe event even when not running a sequence would be an excellent improvement to an already great piece of software.

Iā€™m trying to send a close shutter command when conditions become unsafe. (from separate external app or script) since SGP wonā€™t do it unless a seqment is running.
SGP will just display a ā€œREDā€ button lower right corner - but doesnā€™t close the shutter. So - if unattended - dome is open to rain.

The easiest solution is for you to add a ascom/dome driver close command when the safe/unsafe button turns red as reported by the safety driver.

Iā€™m trying poth. So SGP is happy with poth hub. Now I need cloudwatcher

to send a script to poth hub. (to the dome).

dim dome

set dome = CreateObject( ā€œPOTH hub.domeā€ )

call dome.CloseShutter()

set dome = nothing

It doesnā€™t like my object name. (is this the drivers name?)

I got it - its ā€œPOTH.domeā€ or ā€œPOTH.telescopeā€.

seems to work.

works great. SGP connected to poth controls the dome, yet I can have cloudwatcher close or open the shutter per itā€™s SAFE/UNSAFE status.

awesome.

dim dome

set dome = CreateObject( ā€œPOTH.domeā€ )

call dome.CloseShutter()

set dome = nothing

Or call dome.OpenShutter()

ok, some testing brings up questions.

I have CW running (it says unsafe) I run SGP and I click OPEN (shutter opens).
Itā€™s unsafe (red) but doesnā€™t seem to update to close the time. (is there a timer?)

If I click (cloudy - off - (safe) then on) unsafe then it closes. (as it should).

might this be due to the shutter still opening? (I click stop) but it may not report at open if not fully open.

.telescope is the mount, .dome is the observatory

It is an interesting article. It is the same or worse with database design. It is almost impossible to envisage the end game and structure all the tables and fields and relationships. The ones at work (probably 100 and counting) are so interconnected that when the designers retire in the next few years, unless they have passed their knowledge on, we are in for an interesting time. A friend of mine set up a consultancy employing retired software engineers. They charge a fortune to companies who let their staff go and then realize they cannot maintain their business processes!

yeah figured that out thanks- itā€™s working VERY well.

What I would recommend in that case is to set a start time on your first target and click the ā€œRun Sequenceā€ button. SGP will sit there and monitor your gear. If an unsafe event happens SGP will shut things down even though nothing is happening. But since you clicked ā€œRun Sequenceā€ youā€™re now inside of the automation.

Worth mentioning that this is not currently working as designed, but Iā€™ll be making a release soon that fixes it how Iā€™ve mentioned. Initially we did have the unsafe handling when sequences were not running but that caused a lot of issues with people not understanding why the sequence was getting shutdown. It seems ā€œdaylightā€ is often considered to be an unsafe condition.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks Jared. Is it possible to do ā€˜manualā€™ things like autofocus and frame & focus while running a sequence that is waiting for its start time? If so - result! If not - I am still at square one! I look forward to seeing how this particular feature develops.
I have been following Ron_Kramerā€™s situation and see that he has a work around using POTH Hub, however in the past I have had issues with not everything working as expected on sequence shut down with POTH.

Ron, is this still your dome automation solution? Or have things changed since this post?
Iā€™m starting from scratch with SGP setting up the AAG Cloudsnsor

thanks,
Malcolm