Too many focus runs

To add another data point, I don’t like the new autofocusing routine that is occurring at the start of a sequence as it is being executed with these latest releases, prior to centering. I have a shed observatory that I control from the house. I only need to manually open the roof. but everything else is control from the house. Below is my workflow is:

1. Power up the equipment
  2. Get SPG running and select the sequence for the night
  3. Connect the equipment to SPG.
  4. Wake the mount from hibernation.
  5. Slew, via SPG, to the first target
  6. Perform a focus run
  7. Start PHD2 and connect mount and camera.
  8. Start tracking to ensure good tracking then stop tracking
  9. Start sequence.

I have a SCT scope so mirror flop is a concern for me. Because of this I have Autofocus after centering selected. I found even with poor focus plate solving and centering is not a concern but it’s important to have autofocus performed before imaging begins. In my experience and the way I start up, this first autofocus prior to centering is unnecessary. I prefer the old routine of autofocusing after centering. not prior to centering.

My preference would be to go back to the old method of running the autofocus after centering, to ensure good focus prior to imaging. I believe running autofocus prior to plate solving does not add any value/benefit.

Thanks,
Mark

I guess I don’t understand where you are coming from on this one. Maybe just turn that trigger off?

Hi Ken,
Maybe I missed a release note. but is there now a check box someplace that I can turn off “Autofocus prior to Centering”? If so that would be great.

Thanks,
Mark

The only time SGPro will ever run AF before centering is if you choose the trigger for “Auto focus before sequence start”

Ken,

Sorry, but I’ve been using SPG for over two years and can’t recall seeing the “Auto focus before sequence Start” I looked again for this but can’t find it. can you point me to where this “Auto focus before sequence start” is located. I see and have checked the “Auto focus after automatic centering action”.

Thanks,
Mark

Just two lines above the option you describe:

1 Like

Interesting, I never ever had that checked. Anyway, I downloaded the latest beta 446 and running now and it did not do the autofocus before centering, which is good. Maybe I’m just plan wrong, but on previous Beta starting around 430 or so, I noticed it was doing the autofocus before centering. Wonder if this was changed in this latest beta. Anyway, all is good now, I am not getting that autofocus before centering like i was seeing.

Thanks Ken for your quick response. sorry to taking up your time on this. I must had been mistaken.
Mark

1 Like