Ansvr ceasing to function--repeatedly

A couple of weeks ago Ansvr quit working…right after I installed it. When I went to settings, it said site could not be found. Yesterday, I downloaded Ansvr and completed reinstalled it. It worked great last night. Today, it’s gone again and when I click settings it sends me to a 127.0.0.1 and gives me an error message that site refused to connect. What’s happening here?

It may not be running in the background. Open your Task Manager and see if you have a process called perl.exe running.

You can start Ansvr by going to Start, scrolling down to Astrometry.net Local Solver, and picking Start Ansvr from the list.

That appears to be the problem. What is causing it to stop working in the background?

No clue other than are you sure it starts in the first place? Do you see Ansvr loading at startup after a reboot?

Sorry no help but I have had similar problems on my last two imaging sessions with Ansvr stopping without notice on a couple of occasions. I managed to restart it as mentioned above but no idea why it stopped in the first place so I will be interested if anyone can provide any help.

Hi Mike,

The ansvr installer puts a shortcut to start ansvr in your Start menu Startup folder, so the first thing to do is to check the Startup folder in the Start menu to confirm that the shortcut is still present. If the shortcut is not there it means that something removed it. Anti-virus program perhaps?

If the shortcurt is present, but you cannot access the ansvr settings (the message about site refused to connect when you go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/api/config), then it means that something caused ansvr to stop. If that is the case, please post your ansvr log so we can see what happened. The ansvr log file is C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr\var\tmp\platesolve\ansvr_DATE-TIME.log

Andy

I had trouble recently with my AV deleting Bash.exe. I reinstalled using Andy’s installer and it has been ok since.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your quick reply! Ansvr has been working great for me for over a year, it’s only been recently that I have had this problem. Unfortunately I’m away from my Astronomy gear until September and have no access to the log file until then. I’ll have a look when I get back and will get in touch should the problem occur again.

Thanks also for making this available for free - much appreciated!

Mike