Atik 16200 Amp Glow?

Hi,

I have an Atik 16200 and am just setting it up with SGPro. I have been using it with my 460EX with no issues, and all the settings appear to be correct. However, I seem to have a pretty bad amp glow or light band across the top of all my images, which I do not get at all in Artemis, using the same target.

Any ideas what this may be, and is there a fix? The band carries on to the image, so it isn’t a screen setting. Opening it in Fits Liberator shows the bright band, but opening the same image taken in Artemis shows no band at all.

Any help would be appreciated as I love SGPro, and my new camera, but currently the pair don’t seem to be playing together very well.

Thanks

Can you upload a sample uncalibrated sub? Do your darks also show amp glows as well?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Attached are the .fits and a .tif version (no I’ve added a dropbox link as the forum won’t let me upload these formats). I don’t believe there is anything noticeable on the darks, but I’ll need to check. However, there is nothing at all showing on the captures from Artemis.

When I look at the histograms from each, the black point in the Artemis image is all the way to the left, as I would expect, but the one taken with the exact same set-up in SGPro starts about half way across.

Atik 16200 .fit

Atik 16200 .tif

I suspect that the band is there in both cases but the two programs are using different methods to stretch the image which is creating the apparent difference. Try loading both images in a common image processing program like Pixinsight and see if you see a difference.

It is very unlikely the SGP is causing a banding issue.

I opened your image with PixInsight and I am getting ADU values of around 30K - 32K and seeing the same thing as Ray is seeing. Seems high for 20 second unbinned exposure. I am not sure what’s going on. The image looks like it was taken before the sky got completely dark. The ADU value at the top is about 32K and at the bottom is about 30K but still high. It appears to be executed with Frame & Focus rather than normal exposure. Have you tried exposing by running the sequence and capture a few subs to see if the results are different.

If you capture with Artemis using native driver (not ASCOM) and get “better” results, then the suspect might be in Atik Camera’s ASCOM driver.

I opened with Nebulosity and get same ADU values as with PixInsight. It appears that SGP or ASCOM driver is capturing using “signed integer” instead of “unsigned integer” because the minimum ADU value is half of maximum value of 16 bit number (65536) or 32K. Histogram does not show any data between 0 and 30K.

Peter

Thanks guys, your help is really appreciated. Yes it was taken with F&F Peter, does this make a difference? I have also just found out that if high speed download is on apparently this can cause this type of problem, so another thing to look at.

I’ve posted on the Atik forum also so maybe someone from Atik can also throw a little light on it (excuse the pun).