Auto Focus Options Clarification

Greetings!

I would appreciate clarification on how the auto focus options work in tandem. First, I have it set to auto focus when the temperature changes by 0.5 degC. I have determined this is a good threshold for my SCT. However, sometimes my autofocuser seems to forget to check the temperature, and the reading stays the same for a long time, much longer than it should. Meanwhile I can see my FWHM increasing as the temperature changes. I have also set the time between autofocusing to be 45 minutes to compensate for this.

Here’s my question. Let’s say the timing option triggered an autofocus. 35 minutes later the temperature changes and this triggers an autofocus. Will the timing option trigger yet another one 10 minutes later, or does its timer reset after the temperature autofocus completes? It is the latter behavior that I desire.

Thank you for your help with this.

Best Regards,
Ben

I believe that is correct. Any time an autofocus is triggered the ‘last focus’ time is reset and that value is used for timers.

I am assuming this is correct, otherwise it wouldn’t make sense for the focus options to work independently of one another. I have not been able to confirm this based on my acquisition sessions, however there have been some times when it looked to me like an autofocus was triggered, and then just a few minutes later another was triggered. I had a lot of things going on at the time and couldn’t confirm, however.

Ben

This is correct. AF is smart enough to reset both AF per frame and AF per time unit when other triggers insert themselves in between the normal pattern.