I tried it out a couple of days ago but it was a total bust and I didn’t save the packs. I couldn’t get a good curve and smart focus kept moving outwards.
Tonight I tried again but increased my AF exposure time to 10 sec (from 5). All focusing is done with the Lum filter. Scope is a TPO 10" f/4 Newt with Feather Touch focuser. Camera is an Atik 383L+. I got better curves and saved some packs for you:
What I did was move out 5 steps from my normal (25) for the first pack and then increased 5 more for pack 2 and again for pack 3. The curve for pack 2 seemed best so packs 4 and 5 are done with the same step size as pack 2. Curves are saved in each folder but I lost the curve for pack 5.
What I notice is that at the outer edges of the curve, there are only 3 or 4 stars detected when I can see a lot of them. When it is close to focus it detects a lot of stars. I was also not getting rings until the farthest inward movement. On the outward side, the stars were more blobs.
I’m letting it run for now to see how it does through the night. Last night on the release version was a bust because it lost focus somewhere in the night and everything after was out of focus. This time of year is a bit of strain for autofocus because my temps are dropping a full degree C every 15-30 minutes until about midnight before they stabilize a bit.
Hope this helps,