Black band on side and top in FITS image with EOS80D

Hello,

When I capture FITS images with my EOS80D, I get a thick black band on the left of the image, and a thin black band on the top of the image.

This doesn’t happen when I capture in RAW.

This leads to an image resolution of 6288 x 4056, instead of the expected 6000 x 4000.

Any idea why?

Thanks

Seems like some overscanning area. However if using Canon just use RAW. RAW modes is better for DSLR work.

No, FITS files and CR2 files of Canon cameras contain exactly the same raw image data. The only difference is that these data are scaled in FITS files, so you cannot use FITS and CR2 mixed for one project, but scaling does not change the quality.

However, FITS files contain a lot of useful metadata which are absent in the CR2 files.

Bernd

Yes, i am newbie here.i discoverd that for DSLR it looks like its not handy to save your images to fits. when you stack them the fit have huge amount of noise and lines while CR2 in my case looks smooth. lost of time this weekend.

This is done with 40d or do i do something wrong?

all stacked in pixinsight same procedure i use batch preprocess script and than staralign

Chris

Chris

As I wrote before: you have to use ALL files (lights and calibration files) in the same format: either in FITS or in CR2 format. When you mix the formats, the calibration will produce wrong results.

Bernd

Yes if for this instance you want to calibrate image just take all calibrations in SGP using fits (bias/dark/flats)

In future I like using RAW because I can take BIAS frames/flats directly from camera which is much faster.

Goodluck

i my case i did, i used bias/dark/flat/lights fits from sgp, i used the bayer files generated via pixinsight to stack. So i dont understand the noise in the picture compared to the CR2 stack which is more smooth.
Any hints on this?

Chris

I think this is off-topic here and would be better discussed in the PI forum. The information that was given so far by you is too poor, anyway I cannot conclude from these informations what went wrong.

I used a Canon DSLR myself (EOS 600D = Rebel T3i) and used CR2 format at first and later on FITS, both saved by SGP. So I know that it works well when the calibration is carried out in the right way.

Bernd

Bernd

Yes you are right, the flats generated via flats wizard where not good which caused the problem, i need to check the Flats procedure in SGP.

Sorry Sorry Sorry for the interruption in this thread.

Chris