Camera Cooler Turning Off Despite Prompt

After a meridian flip I like to switch from SGP to Sharpcap to ensure alignment. When I disconnect from SGP to connect with Sharpcap, SGP shows a prompt asking whether or not I want the to turn off the camera cooler. I always say no as I am going to return immediately to SGP to resume capturing. The cooler turns off anyway. Is this a bug or a feature?

I have a ZWO 1600 Pro. I use the ZWO driver.

I see this too when I disconnect the camera and answer “No” to the question about turning off the camera cooler - the cooler turns off anyway. I’m not sure how the camera cooler could remain on when disconnected from software control, but it would be nice if it could remain at the same setpoint. At any rate, SGP should not give you the option to leave the camera on if it’s not possible.

1 Like

This may be a feature of the camera driver, when SGP closes the driver it doesn’t know if you are going to reconnect immediately or not so the safest thing is to stop cooling.

Actually, one could argue that the safest thing is to leave it on. I have had situations in the summer months, when the temperature outside was 85F and my computer/connection failed. The cooler turned off, causing the sensor to rapidly heat up from the -20C it was set to. This can’t be good for the camera.

What I’m thinking is that starting a controlled warm up is better than leaving the camera fully cold until the power is removed and all control is lost.

Some cameras will turn off the cooler just when they’re disconnected. The prompt has been changed to read “Attempt to leave cooler on?” to be more correct with what is happening. Essentially we don’t turn it off, but we can’t control what the driver does.

Thanks,
Jared

1 Like