Camera Warming UP Instead of Cooling Down

Hello,

Third or forth session with this cooled camera and suddenly I notice the temperature climbing instead of getting lower. It did go as low as -19.8 degrees but then started climbing. Ia any settings wrong in the attached?

Thanks

What was the ambient and the camera’s listed Delta T ?

Might just be to warm out and the camera is incapable of reaching the temperature you are requesting.

I also suspect the ambient temperature as having been a problem.

SGP can only tell the camera what temp to set to, we can’t control anything else. Looks like the temp was set to -20 but the camera couldn’t maintain it or get there for some reason. Also according to SGP the camera was only reporting to be using 81% of it’s cooling power. So not sure why it didn’t ramp up more power.

But as mentioned we can only say “Camera, cool down to -20” we can’t set power or do anything else. The “somewhat” exception to this is if you’re using cool down. In which case we’ll interpolate the current temperature to the set point over a given amount of time. This can induce a slight warm up.

Thanks,
Jared

You have your “warm up to” temperature set the same as your “cool down to” temperature. I would have thought the warm to one should be set somewhere near your average ambient for that session so it prevents sensor shock?

Try changing this to 5 degrees or above (unless you are in Antartica) and see how you get on with that. This may be battling with cool down maybe?

Those were the settings in desperation to see if they improve anything; at the beginning they were default values except for cooling.

I don’t know if it is with all cameras, but ZWO doesn’t come with a user guide or if it does it is not very easily readable.

I am sure the expectation of the design is that you are at a cold and dark place at night and not a warm summer evening. Once the smoke goes away from the skies I will be back out there and trying it again.

Thanks for chiming in.