Catalog of Bright Stars, Catalog Objects, Solar System Objects

I’m new to SGP. It is not immediately apparent to me how I can use SGP with a star and nebula catalog. I would like to be able to select perhaps Deneb and then click goto, and have it happen. Or likewise, select M13 and force a goto. Essentially, I want to duplicate the functionality of my Losmandy Gemini II that I have with the hand controller (or better). Likewise, I want to build a model, with everything synced between the SGP and Losmandy Gemini II.

Please Advise.

D.T.

SGP does not contain any planetarium functionality. You can use a 3rd party planetarium software (e.g. Cartes du Ciel or Stellarium) to connect to your mount over ASCOM and slew where ever you want. Most ASCOM mount drivers (including Losmandy Gemini) support multiple clients, so you can connect both SGP and a planetarium software to the mount at the same time.

OK, I can see where GOTO star, catalog object, planet, etc. can be considered part of Planetarium software. I don’t see where building a model, as in done in the Gemini, can be part of planetarium software. If I want to use a model, would I need to continue to use the modeling software in the Gemini and sync to SGP? Or is software for supporting a model available as an ASCOM module?

I learned to build a model with the Gemini, thinking that this is the way finding an object is done, both with Losmandy Gemini, and that other mounts would have similar software. Am I misinformed? Are things done in other ways with other mounts? Maybe I need to learn some new concepts? Especially now that I am using SGP?

D.T.

Another option to slew to a a star or a nebula, from within SGP, is to use the Frame & Mosaic Wizard. Just enter your star name or your nebula name, 1x1 camera tiles and the wizard will create a new target for you (see also the Help file for Frame & Mosaic Wizard). You don’t even need to run a sequence, if you don’t want to: just right click the target created by Frame&Mosaic and select Center On Target. The benefit of this option is the capability to use SGP’s plate solving functions to automatically center on your target (you don’t need to build any model). The drawback is the fact that you need an internet connection in order to retrieve data from SIMBAD.

Another possibility is to enable “Allow external control of telescope” in Control Panel > Telescope. This allows to performs slews, gotos, and syncs from an external app and even an external devices. For instance, you can use SkySafari on an iPhone or iPad to control your mount. Again, please check the help file for details.

“The drawback is the fact that you need an internet connection in order to retrieve data from SIMBAD.”

Rarely do I have a functioning internet connection in the context of AP. I’ve been going to remote dark sky locations, internet access is “forget about it”. But I have plenty of storage on my laptop. Can’t I download a catalog that I can use in the AP context?

D.T.

As far as I know, an Internet connection to SIMBAD is mandatory for Frame & Mosaic Wizard (no local catalogs). If you wish a click-and-slew graphical interface, then you need an external planetarium, to be connected either with @naavis’s recommendation or with my second option. You will still be able to use SGP’s plate and solve features to sync the mount.

It’s always better to plan ahead and set up potential targets ahead of time. During the week I use Frame and Mosaic Wizard to pick my potential targets - all of them, everything I can think of that is rising at this time of year and may interest me. If you do this while you have internet connection, then go out to your dark site you will already have your images already loaded from the catalog and all the coordinates you will need for perfect GOTO performance. SGP will plate solve exactly onto each target you have chosen.