Connecting SGP to hardware on a second PC

I am looking at using the Diffraction Limited MaxDome II to automate an Explora-Dome. I plan on using one dedicated PC just for the dome control and a second PC for imaging. I of course want SGP to control the dome during my imaging sessions. Is there anyway to have SGP connect to hardware that is connected to a second PC?

My reasons for wanting to have 2 PCs is that my imaging PC is mounted on top of my OTA to keep my wire clutter to a minimum and is mainly used to control the mount, focuser, and cameras. The PC that connects to the MaxDome II controller boards will be located somewhere else in the observatory. Both PC’s will be connected to the same network. Is there away to “share” a connection to hardware running on another PC over a network? Has anyone ever gotten this to work with hardware connected to SGP? I am not sure if this is even possible, but figured I would at least ask to see if someone has figured away around having to have all the hardware connected to SGP on the same PC.

I know I could get a USB extender to connect the Dome Controller to my imaging PC, but that would not be my preferred option.

Thanks for the info.

Andrew J

This sounds like something that might work with an initiative that the ASCOM community were working on, to control things over the WAN/LAN:

I’m not sure if this is just an idea, or implementation ready. Might be worth asking the folks over the ASCOM talk forum?

Thanks Buzz. That sounds very promising. I didn’t find any Ascom Web install files on ascom-standards.org, but I will ask over on the Ascom talk forum as suggested…

I also heard about something called Eros Lite that is suppose to work, but need to do some more research to see if that is a viable option.

Thanks again for the info.

Andrew J

Most of the cable clutter at the OTA, for my gear, is usb. I use an OTA mounted usb hub to reduce that clutter, This way the PC can be mounted on/near mount, with only one usb and one power cable running to OTA. Prevents need for multiple PC’s and easier to get network cable to PC (observatory setup).

Tricky part was finding a reliable usb hub that runs on 12V (well, 12v was relatively easy, reliable not so much :wink: ).

$0.02
DaveNL

Dave - missed this post - I can thoroughly recommend the StarTech Industrial USB hubs. They run off 12 volts and have proved very reliable out in the obsy. I have lent my spare to friends on occasion who had problems with cheap hubs and this always fixed the issue.

Yes - agree. Startech is my go-to usb hub of choice. They have been reliable and most are 12V (one industrial ST version I have will run on any power supply from 7V to 48V).

DaveNL