Constant crashing

For the past year running variants of 2.6.0.x versions I have experienced periodic random crashes of SG Pro. There doesn’t appear to be a single predictable, repeatable trigger - it is quite annoying and doesn’t do the camera any good constantly turning the fan and cooler on and off.

I have just upgraded to the latest 2.6.0.23 and within the first 15 minutes of use it crashed as many times. It doesn’t seem able to remain open for more than a short time. I am running Windows 10 64 bit on an Intel NUC i7 quad core processor with plenty of disc space. My mount is the EQ8 and the camera is the QHY12 and the ZWO 120 for guiding.

There are two primary entries in the Windows application logs:

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 02/09/2017 19:23:33
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: astropc1
Description:
Application: Sequence Generator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateGraphicsInternal()
at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadExceptionDialog…ctor(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
astropc1

Application: Sequence Generator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateGraphicsInternal()
at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadExceptionDialog…ctor(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

and

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 02/09/2017 19:23:33
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: astropc1
Description:
Faulting application name: Sequence Generator.exe, version: 2.6.0.23, time stamp: 0x591a7a2b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.15063.502, time stamp: 0xc3955624
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000eb802
Faulting process ID: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report ID: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
astropc1

Sequence Generator.exe
591a7a2b
KERNELBASE.dll
c3955624
e0434352
000eb802

I need to find a resolution urgently or revert to a version that is absolutely stable else find a new imaging platform!

UPDATE - starting the autofocus routine is at least one way to guarantee to trigger the crash. I also reverted to a much earlier version but it is still crashing!

I finally installed version 206.0.24 beta because it has the more reliable QHY support according to the release notes, but after a lot of wasted time I did finally achieve a measure of success but not quite in a way I’m happy with. Basically if I set up the equipment and user profiles again from scratch and start of with an empty sequence the crashing appears not to happen. I can now add my targets back in manually - which is a pain but at least this should allow me to image again. If I try to use my old .sgf file it crashes. There must be something in that sequence the new versions don’t like.

I have experienced no further crashing since only working with a brand new sgf file. It would appear that once you upgrade to the new version of SG Pro it dislikes sgf files created in earlier versions. Perhaps there is a way to migrate them across, not sure, but for now I have accepted the need to re-add all of my objects to the sequence file.