Custom horizon - in planner needed

I took a 360 image of my garden and imported into Cartes du Ciel. You can calibrate it and it gives a fairly accurate visual indicator and aids my planning by seeing when the neighbouring houses interfere with the imaging.
Just another option.

1 Like

It’s cool seeing my real horizon. Lets me know if a target is behind the tree’s before I slew there.
I don’t like cartes. (graphics are extremely crude). New stellarium has deep sky photos and a complete deep sky survey background now!

1 Like

How complicated is it to create the custom horizon (360) in stellarium?

Tedious, but not hard.

http://www.astronomyforum.net/astronomy-software-forum/138481-creating-custom-landscapes-stellarium.html

Basically :

• Take pictures in a circle
  • Stitch pictures together
  • Delete sky (This is the most tedious part)
  • Tweak a simple well-documented config file
1 Like

Thanks for the info and link.

1 Like

Agree, great request

see also my The SGP NewBie Questions - Sequence Generator - Main Sequence Software
first observation as newbie

Chris

Very good idea. In my case I have my house and a mountain at North (42)°, trees at West (35°) and I would like to stop the tracking before the object reach the trees. EQMOD can define an horizon profile but when the target reach this profile, the mount stop and SGP do not go to the next event. In fact the logic could be the same than the meridian flip: the EQMOD limit is farther than the SGP limit in order for SGP to react and manage the event.

1 Like

Good idea.
Plus 1.
JM

1 Like

Ken, Jared

I like to bring this discussion back to SGP, last night i discoverd the planning tool Great.
I understand it can be difficult to add function horizon and I don’t know the plans in relation to major release 4.0
My suggestion that we implement this request on agile way, I like to share my vision how we can do that in SGP, hoop that this give you some ideas also.
I think the only extra function is that SGP can plot the object on the angle of the horizondepending on the degree in hight which is already part of planning tool

Create Horizon like below, this can be part of User Profile Manager, depending on location different horizon

afbeelding

To do it on the agile way, bit by bit, I like to have two vertical lines for Object Rise and Set and Meridian flip so I can define the start and stop time base the horizon or flip

My suggestion is that this will looks like

afbeelding

Is this possible to get this implemented. Start en stop times for now I can set via the mous clicks

Please tell me what you think about this idee.
And if this helps to provide you in this way with suggestion for a new feature.

Thanks in advance

Chris

1 Like

Hi. Just wondering if you connect to your scope via SGP through Maxpoint (which is from where the horizon planner above comes) and through Maxpoint to your scope (in my case Pulsar2 for a G53F mount) if you could just use the horizon planner in Maxpoint to trigger your horizon limits? It does, of course, mean that you would need to obtain Maxpoint and the process wouldn’t be as convenient as if an horizon planned was integrated into SGP.

I agree, showing your object rise, set and meridian flip point would be helpful but I expect it would be difficult to include in the planner. If not, it would be a valuable addition.

Grobe

Thanks, for the support in this, wonder how Ken and Jared think about this if it is due able for a next release

Chris

Desertsky, don’t believe everything you read.
This target does not rise above 20 degree’s for me. I have to shoot it over several nights because it only appears for 90 minutes from behind a tree to my SE before it disappears behind a tree on my SW. Due to my varied horizon.

Imgur

4 Likes

This would be awesome. I have a very limited sky and have asked for this in the past. I have to image an object for weeks and while the planner is “good” it needs custom horizon. Not only horizon though, a custom sky limit- My scope is under an awning, and can’t be moved further out so I have a clear view of the zenith. It’d be nice to be able to illustrate a “custom sky window” so we could plan better.

2 Likes

Count me in on this request. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

not tedious, one picture (panorama) no stitching. Most advice on here is grossly outdated = (

Would love to see custom horizon added to SGP. This is becoming a standard feature in a lot of imaging software. Having a single value for horizon makes it difficult to use the built in planner. Hoping this request gets some traction soon.

Totally agree

No dates on this yet, but it is on the list. Currently behind:

• Focus metrics AF trigger
  • Auto focus sub frame sets
  • Auto flat frame matching
  • Start / stop at dusk
  • Conditional UNSAFE behavior
  • Support for Telescope homing

Despite what it may seem, this is not that far from the top. The list has near 75 items on it.

1 Like

@Ken,
I want to thank you and Jared for all the work you’ve been doing. It seems like the last few (?) months you’ve been cranking out new releases and features, and most of my requests have been implemented.

I REALLY look forward to the start/stop at dusk feature, and the ability for SGPro to know a rough starting point for focus based on prior history. Both those features will eliminate quite a bit of manual work needed before I can image each night.

1 Like

Hi there, as I’m switching over from NINA, I would also to love to see a custom horizon implementation. As you mentioned a “list” - is it a list that is available to the public?

Thanks & CS