Download hangs when saving to SDcard

I spent a ton of time tonight trying to get SGP up and running. I wasn’t able to get past the “downloading” portion of any sequence. After trying everything, I changed the directory that the images were to be saved in from an internal SD Card to the SsD drive of my Surface Pro 3. The SD card is a fast one and works perfectly. It’s not full, and I have no problem saving to it from other programs.

I’d very much like to save to the SD card since I’ll do my processing on a separate computer.

-Jim

I’m a bit confused about your post. Not sure if it is downloading, or saving to the SD or SSD that is the issue. When I’m imaging on my Intel computing stick, I only save to the microSD card. It is not the fastest PC in the world but it does not have any issues. With my NUC, I save all images to a SSD drive on USB3, again without issues. Both using Windows 10 pro. Can you manually save from SGP?

Sorry I wasn’t more clear.

The bottom line is that if I try to save a photo onto the SD card, it hangs at the downloading stage. The green bar advances all the way across during this stage, then the green bar goes away and it continues to say downloading… but it never advances to the next stage. I can’t even cancel the sequence, it just hangs forever and I have to restart SGP.

As soon as I change to the internal drive, everything works perfectly.

-Jim

Why not send images to the internal drive, then later copy the files to the SD drive for processing?

That sounds like a file saving issue, rather than downloading. A couple of stupid things - we have all been there - have you got it formatted properly, is write-protect disabled, is it working with other programs and is there space on it?

Thanks again for the help!

Good thoughts on making sure the SD card is good to go. Unfortunately, it is correctly configured. I use other programs like Sharpcap to store files to it with no issues. It’s got 10s of gigs of free space.

Still struggling with this problem.

-Jim

The other thing that comes to mind is drive mapping. My external SSD caddy was drive E - but after plugging in a USB stick, it got remapped to drive F and SGP’s default directory had to be updated.

Another good thought. On the surface pro the SD card is semi permanent and installed into a slot directly on the motherboard.

I have my pictures / documents folder in Windows 10 mapped to the SD card instead of the internal solid state drive.

-Jim

I’ll try an experiment on my Macbook Pro (bootcamp Win 10) and see if it will save to the SD card slot. I’m struggling to imagine how SGP is the culprit. The C .NET methods for saving the file will be the same and the only thing that changes is the path name.

I remember having an issue where the SD card was not set to have write caching enabled. Once this was set it worked much better. This should be found by checking the Device manager and properties for the drive. The SD Cards were never as fast at the internal C:\ Drive however it may be fast enough with your card.

good thought- I recall something similar from way back, when SD cards were slooowww.

@kingjamez
Was entilza onto something? It is always good to know if one fixes a problem so that other’s may benefit too.

Sorry for not giving an update. I haven’t been able to do any further diagnosing, as soon as I have opportunity, I’ll report back.

-Jim