GlobalExceptionHandler caught : Error creating window handle

Hi,
I am a new user & am trying to find my way around the software.

I have setup user & equipment profiles and am trying out the Mosaic & Framing Wizard.

So my equipment is setup as such:

Canon EOS camera - pixel size 3.7, image size 6000 x 4000
Telescope FL 2350mm
So pixel scale is 0.325.

I fetch M31 at 3.0deg FOV

I tile the entire image, which creates 70 tiles total with overall image size of 36600 x 34600

I create the sequence with SUCCESS.

Now with the sequence window open I enter an EXPOSURE value of 10m in Event 1 of M31-1

I then right click M31-1 in the target list & choose ‘copy events to’ from the dropdown menu & then select all the other targets from the newly opened window i.e. M31-2 to M31-70 and click OK.

The process of copying starts but after a while a dialog appears on the screen saying that SGP has stopped working and needs to close, see attached Log2.txt file: Log2.txt (71.4 KB)
I have also attached the 2 associated Events from Windows Events Viewer: Event2-1.txt (1.5 KB) & Event2-2.txt (701 Bytes)

Next I tried the process over again, exactly the same mosaic setup, again, added a 10m exposure entry in Event 1 of M31-1 but this time in the sequence window I copied events from M31-1 to M31-2 & it did succeed but did seem to take about a minute to do.
I then attempted to copy the events from M31-2 over to all the remaining targets i.e. M31-3 to M31-70, once again after what seemed like ages and with the progress bar around two thirds done, it failed, same message and SGP shutdown. here is the log from this attempt: Log3.txt (72.0 KB) along with the events from Windows Event Viewer: Event3-1.txt (1.5 KB) & Event3-2.txt (701 Bytes)

I do keep seeing the same error in the SGP log of: 'GlobalExceptionHandler caught : Error creating window handle.'

My laptop is running latest version of Win10, has 8GB RAM & i5 processor

Please can someone point me in the direction as to solve this issue.

Pretty sure it’s a dotnet thing but from what I have found on the net, from Win8.1 onwards, dotnet is built in to Windows.

Regards…,

Kirk

OK, I am getting somewhere but still very strange.

In ‘Tools > Options > Sequence Options’ I set ‘number of events for new targets’ to 1 and ran the Mosaic sequence generator again.

Still 70 targets for M31.

I set a 10m exposure value in the single Event in M31-1 and then once again copied this event to all the remaining targets, M31-2 to M31-70. Success! It copied without issue and very quickly.

I then added 2 more events to M31-1, set one as DARK & the other to FLAT.

I set the DARK exposure value to 10m as the LIGHT exposure already is, I set the FLAT exposure to 1/80sec or 0.0125 and set all repeats for the 3 events to 25.

I then copied these events of M31-1 to all the remaining targets in the list, M31-2 to M31-70 and it worked, all copied within about 1min.

No idea why the original way did not work with the default 5 events per target, even though some were empty.

Regards…,

Kirk

@1CM69

Right now SGPro has undefined behavior when the target list exceeds about 40. At one point we had a hard limit of 40, but some folks, with super robust systems were having luck well above that so we removed the limit and let folks create at their own pace. We need to put a warning I think.

SGPro multi-target features grew a little awkwardly and they are not the most memory efficient things. It has been on our list for a while now to reduce the memory footprint in this area.

Hi Ken, thanks for replying.

I guessed it must have been a more indepth issue as I have just created a 283 frame sequence using the wizard and this seemed to be created without issue until I then changed the exposure in target 1 & tried again copying that to the remaining 282 targets.
SGP crashed.
I then tried to copy target 1’s event to only the first 70 target as this worked fine in my previous mosaic, thus again caused SGP to crash.
After a process of elimination it would seem that I can only copy events to 25 targets at a time, this is obviously tiresome having to manually check each target box, plus, very easy to miss one.
While SGP is working I have kept my Task Manager Process screen open and SGP uses no more than 30% of installed RAM or CPU power, so it’s not like it ever tops out my laptops power.

I can only assume that eventually SGP will need to be 64Bit to cope with these situations.

I suppose my only course of action with my current setup would be to split targets themselves into smaller mosaics and then combine the data in post.

Regards…,

Kirk

While there is nothing wrong with this, I think we can address this issue without moving to 64 bits. Unfortunately, it will require rewriting large portions of the code and is likely a candidate for SGPro 3.0.